what do you guys do when you go on hols ???

From what I am hearing, we aint seen nothing yet. Some police forces, not the licensing departments, are advocating the use of other crime prevention means to prevent the theft of guns. (Apparently there has been a rise in gun thefts or burglaries where guns have been taken nationally). The initiative is to have all our guns marked with 'smart water' (personally I do not see any point in that, but there you go!)for a start and storage whilst the house is unoccupied being stepped up by a minimum of CCTV and/or Monitored Burglar Alarms. The initial correspondent from The Highlands is not far off the mark. Let us not forget these things are always given to Scotland to 'test' before we south of the border have it imposed upon us. This is not a wind up, its being talked about now, the implications will have far reaching effects if they get it through. I wonder if the Green Party Manifesto in relation to the Gun Laws, and the fact they have a tiny foothold in the Eurpoean Elections has had some influence?

If the Greens get in there will not be a need for smart water, or any other water,... there will not be any guns in the hands of anyone other than H.M. Armed forces or the police.

I just set the alarm mines ( Number 9 shot not blanks) and wire the internal door handles and gun cabinet up to the mains. :evil:

What about people who work offshore..... it'd be a pain in the a*se and pretty expensive to have to store your guns for half the year.

Some of the things they think up are rediculas. Although having just found the the spare wheel has been stolen off my new L200 I wouldn't put things past anyone nowadays the little sh!ts!

Nothing different for me as its good enough when not away. Key is making prying eye's not easily see anything different is happening to the norm.

we have a deal with the nosey neighbour her hubby only works weekends and she dont work nada so we go they happily spy n phone if owts about.also we return the favour .its win win,we have post lady who always puts stuff through doesnt leave it hanging outside to show your away.basic precautions but every little helps

I agree with the masses, stupid comments from the rozzers. To try and answer your question in part, i was once away for a month and did seperate my bolts for my own personal comfort.

If we are all away for more than a couple of nights I make up a bag of shotgun barrels & rifle bolts & leave them with a friendly RFD. One less thing to worry about.

A bag of bits of firearms is unlikely to be the priority for the burglers if they managed to gain access to a dealers! Anyway, my priorities in order would be keeping my certificates, making sure that no 3rd party was hurt by my firearms & then protecting me from financial loss.

Personally If away for more than a few days i always leave them at my local rfd, never tell fld or anyone else, just for my peace of mind. Also wifey insists I do it anyway so swmbo is kept happy.

I'm not sure I want to be too specific about security arrangements, but as well as the usual locks, cabinets, lights and so on, there's two canine deterrents, a full SKY package that attracts 6'2" offspring to the house and an itinerary that means the house is unnoccupied very rarely.

But to keep knowledge of one's travel plans on a need to know basis seems to be common sense. Refrain from posting online that pint of beer in the departure lounge until you return!

Better to stay off faceache , ****ter and the likes altogether if you value PERSEC. if you want to be super careful you can even use an IP hider.

and a tin foil hat? sorry, good comments just couldn't resist

The cabinet shouldn't be accessible by any opportunistic buggerlar! and the neighbors should spot signs of forced entry and report it to the Police i'll come home to take measures then. I remove and hide the firing pins rather sneakily inside the cabinet and have the bolts in the ammo safe, might put a separate ammo and bolt safe in a different room to keep things even harder to puzzle together while i'm away at uni. I also try not to keep large quantities of ammo if i'm not there we all have a mate we can sell it to then buy back when we return.

Kept in locked gun Safe in locked gunroom with alarm linked to local police, thats plenty security for me

Above the normal measures when I go away I have a full size cardboard cutout of myself in a state that would deter all but the most perverse burglar when left in front of the cabinets...

Back