Chiller moving

Dorset

I moved house about a year ago and it's been a real pain still having my chiller at another site, it was never ideal anyway with no running water and stuck in the corner of a barn full of tractors and other tackle. I've just had time to get it moved recently and am pretty pleased with the results, I've saved nearly 2k on the cheapest quote I could get to move it (that didn't 't include electrics and fittings )and build a prep room on the front of it. First off was to dismantle the chiller and set it up again at my place but then it ground to a halt as bucks started and I needed to use it a fair bit as it was. Next step was to build a stud out of 3x2 and clad it all in ply, I made it 12'x8' to reduce the cutting:

My idea was to line the whole thing with parlour board and stick it to the ply to leave no holes but unfortunately I couldn't find a product that would hold it so ended up screwing it in and capping them. The parlour board was cut with a jigsaw and fitted which was a real pain as the covings are incredibly tight fitting and can only be put together in a certain order. Once that was done I installed a stainless gully, brought the water supply into the shed and chickened out of the next bit.

I looked at at various flooring solutions but ultra flooring like you see in hospitals seemed to be the best solution as I wanted a bunded floor to be easy to wash down. I'm not into flooring so called someone else in to put down a DPM, latex it and lay the flooring for me, here's the self leveller going down:

Once the floor was down it started to look more like a prep room as I put in the sink, lights, water heater, insectocutor, towel dispenser, knife magnet and winch, I also brought a curly hose in from the roof which makes cleaning down easy:

Here it is from the outside, I find it suits me perfectly, I have a couple of bits to add to finish it off but at least it's useable now-as with all these things there are a couple of things I 'd do differently if I did it again but I've quite enjoyed messing about with it to be honest, at least it's made to my own specs and ways of working, larder work is certainly much quicker now, I put 5 bucks in on weds in around 20 mins!

Looks like you have done a good job there mate , let me know if you need a hand stocking it :D

Looks the mutts nuts mate.

Hows the buck season going? Catching up with a few? Doing ok on the body weights?

Are you going to Bisley next weekend?

speak soon mate

Jon

Last edited:
Looks the mutts nuts mate.

Hows the buck season going? Catching up with a few? Doing ok on the body weights?

Are you going to Bisley next weekend?

speak soon mate

Jon

cheers chaps, dom saw one for you tonight that I left and brought an old scarred one home.
Going ok thanks Jon, had 21 bucks so far with several of the mature bucks up and over 40lbs, that buck tonight was 42lbs. Yearling weights are high as well, must have been the mild winter, had a lot of heads well over 400g with 4 to be measured so far but no real monsters. Been busy on the foxes and not really stalking evenings to spend more time with the baby plus the weather recently hasn't helped-still got several bucks to find though. I can't make bisley unfortunately, never been there and would have liked to have gone. You getting out much?

cheers chaps, dom saw one for you tonight that I left and brought an old scarred one home.
Going ok thanks Jon, had 21 bucks so far with several of the mature bucks up and over 40lbs, that buck tonight was 42lbs. Yearling weights are high as well, must have been the mild winter, had a lot of heads well over 400g with 4 to be measured so far but no real monsters. Been busy on the foxes and not really stalking evenings to spend more time with the baby plus the weather recently hasn't helped-still got several bucks to find though. I can't make bisley unfortunately, never been there and would have liked to have gone. You getting out much?

Sounds good mate.
Had one last weekend. Got to butcher it and hand it out( bit more rent paid ;) )
shame about Bisley. Will have to catch up soon mate.
Did you fill the post?

jon

Back