View Poll Results: 1 how much would you expect to pay to attend this day and would you go

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • £20 to £30

0 0%
  • £30 to £50

0 0%
  • £50+

0 0%
  • yes i would attend

0 0%
  • 256 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A fair day for a fare price

A fair day for a fare price

I need help with a few questions from the good ladies fellows of this site irrespective of your own experience Iím asking you to look at it if you were a newcomer to the sport

The scenario

You are new to stalking your trying to gain information NOT stalking opportunities you read in the one of the Shooting magazines of a day being laid on by experienced stalkers to show and pass on info to pre and post Dsc1 and newcomers. The day is with in reasonable travelling time say 100 miles with activities including simulated stalking, may include live range work, Gralloch the field larder and butchery work not to mention others, you get the idea.

or if you said no i would not attend please out line below your reasons for not attending or the reasons you would attend please show your support below

I'd say £75 would still be cheap compared to some of the courses run by others!! Chuck in a bit of lunch, some hobnobs at coffee time and sounds like a very good idea.

I'd have definitely gone on something like this when I was first starting out had it been available - much more practically orientated than DSC1 or BASC firearms safety type courses. I like the idea of a simulated stalk through the woods, have to spot the well placed deer target and take the shot

Ash,

An excellent idea - I offer a very similar package, but at a cost of £150 for the day, including a 'real' stalk.

The take-up indicates that many stalkers are really interested in developing their PRACTICAL skill levels.

There is certainly a need for this type of training - and it complements the existing theoretical base of the DSC1 & provides valuable specific revision for those working towards a DSC2.

Rgds

Ian

Ian,
    thats a good price! especially when you take into account, cost of your lease, your time, your tax, your vat, your vehicle, your experience,your insurance,is there anything left for yourselves?

regards
    griff

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Ash

Why do they need a course when they can just come and browse the SD site

Seriously, similar to Ian and 75 I also see the benefit of this idea.

Stone, Muddy and MarkH (apologies to those I've missed) organised and ran a Deer Dog Day last year that really helped introduce both the theory and practice of why you might want a Deer Dog. I'd read some of the standard "Dogs for Deer" books beforehand, but being able to see the theory put into practice and talk about the benefits and pitfalls, really helped me.

Something similar, but aimed at stalking in general, would fill a similar niche. One of the gunshops in Cirencester put on a stalking day last year that covered some of this ground and the interest generated was remarkable - not least from members of this site!

With an audience of newcomers to the sport, and particularly for those who don't know someone already involved, there are a huge number of practical questions that a course/event such as this could answer. Sure, you can take a DSC1, but the cost and time involved are considerable, particularly if you don't already know if deer stalking is for you. If you can find one you could go to a meeting of your local BDS branch (Chiltern Branch, where are you now??), but otherwise, how do you gain basic knowledge of what deer stalking is all about?

In an ideal world everyone coming into the sport would have a 'mentor' to consult (and no, I don't mean as a condition on your ticket ), but we don't live in an ideal world.

On the question of cost, best of luck Finding a price that will cover reasonable costs yet satisfy the "HOW much - it should all be free - you're only in it for the money" brigade is going to be as difficult as asking "how much should I pay for stalking"!

willie_gunn

Willie_gunn is so right in many respects, to have access to good advice is so important for the safety of the sport. BUT !!

If you are a total newcomer to stalking, how do we get your attention ?

Where does a 'newbie' find the information and contacts to make his life easier and safe by meeting the experienced stalkers ?

Brianm

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm
    Willie_gunn is so right in many respects, to have access to good advice is so important for the safety of the sport. BUT !!

If you are a total newcomer to stalking, how do we get your attention ?

Where does a 'newbie' find the information and contacts to make his life easier and safe by meeting the experienced stalkers ?

Brianm
    Thats an easy one Brianm

There are numerous stalking oportunities advertised and at varying scales of expense all over the country..

At each of the stalking opportunities ive taken there has been an awful lot of swapping numbers and new numbers given of people willing to help me out closer to home..

At Malc and Johns SD week in Scotland i met and made some new friends with three of them coming down and staying at my house in a couple of weeks..

IanF and little Jo did a great high seat course where i met Wayne Davies for the first time and so it goes on..

This site has proven for me to be all you need in relation to your questions..

ATB

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by griff
    Ian,
    thats a good price! especially when you take into account, cost of your lease, your time, your tax, your vat, your vehicle, your experience,your insurance,is there anything left for yourselves?

regards
    griff
    not if I get near the biscuits there isn't

Wiilie-gunn has hit the nail on the head.
    Pheasant-Sniper also has a good point.

I have had the opportunity to stalk in different places due to the generosity of people off this site. Just join in forum's such as this one and people are more than willing to help you no matter how 'silly' you think the question might be, as everybody has to START SOMEWHERE.

An event like this which would give peolpe a 'taster' of what stalking is about can only be a good thing

Jonathon

Ash
    a day like that i reckon i could arrange and put on for £50 per head
    but to make something out of it i feel £85 would be nearer the mark
    but then i hav no outgoings to re-inburse