Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 338 Winchester Magnum: Everybody needs one.

338 Winchester Magnum: Everybody needs one.

Or so I'm trying to convince myself.
    I was at the local Trading Post and one of the employees set out a dusty Weatherby Vanguard box on the counter. A rifle he'd found in the far back shelving. It was a synthetic stocked 338 Win Mag. The 338 is a good cartridge but the Weatherby was not a really attractive rifle til I saw the yellowed price tag on the box: $449 US. Now I'm thinking the 375 H&H I have may be too big for elk, and the 308 Norma Magnum too small, but a 338 WM? Might be just right... ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Or so I'm trying to convince myself.
    I was at the local Trading Post and one of the employees set out a dusty Weatherby Vanguard box on the counter. A rifle he'd found in the far back shelving. It was a synthetic stocked 338 Win Mag. The 338 is a good cartridge but the Weatherby was not a really attractive rifle til I saw the yellowed price tag on the box: $449 US. Now I'm thinking the 375 H&H I have may be too big for elk, and the 308 Norma Magnum too small, but a 338 WM? Might be just right... ~Muir

Now Muir ......................................... I am sure you can find a better rifle than that one.

I have to agree the .338 is a very good cartridge although not popular in the UK for a number of reasons. The Police licensing being numero one of course. But historically it is seen here as too large back in 1929 BSA introduced a .330 or .33 cartridge almost identical to the .338 Winchester but BSA used LFC bullets (Light For Calibre). 1929 was a bad time to launch new calibres, rifles and cartridges just before the start of the depression so very few were made.

I almost acquired one some years back in .330 calibre. The ammunition for the BSA can be made I am told using .338 Win cartridges then reforming them slightly.

but the Weatherby was not a really attractive rifle til I saw the yellowed price tag on the box: $449 US
    Even you admit that the vanguard is not the best rifle so find yourself a better one and get the .338 .

Cabelas has had a rack of Tikka T-3 Lite's with iron sights and winter camo pattern stocks for $750 sitting out for the last 6 months. They never reduce their prices though.~Muir

Well they know that they can hold them as their big enough to carry them and not worry about the sale of a few. No doubt when the prices go up so will those T3's. These big firms know how to raise prices that's for sure. Must be some religion they follow that don't allow them to reduce them.

Our licensing authorities go into a tizzy if anyone asks for a 338, they have been brainwashed into thinking that the only 338 people want is the Lap Mag, which to them is a particularly nasty military sniper anti personal round and cant possibly understand why anyone would want one.

Ian.

Not sure what .338 Win Mag is like, but I'm desperately trying to talk myself out of a custom build .338 Lap Mag for long range target shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by timbeech View Post
    Not sure what .338 Win Mag is like, but I'm desperately trying to talk myself out of a custom build .338 Lap Mag for long range target shooting.
    Why not also consider the new 338 Norma Mag? After some hesitation Norma have decided to launch it commercially and it is probably better suited to target work than the 338 Lapua. It's detailed in the 2014 Norma catalogue with it's sister 300 Norma Mag. Being different to the "military" 338 Lapua might also make life simpler with HM Constabulary.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Quote Originally Posted by M275 View Post
    Why not also consider the new 338 Norma Mag? After some hesitation Norma have decided to launch it commercially and it is probably better suited to target work than the 338 Lapua. It's detailed in the 2014 Norma catalogue with it's sister 300 Norma Mag. Being different to the "military" 338 Lapua might also make life simpler with HM Constabulary.
    I think that you will find that the 338NM isnt 'new' its been out there for a few years now.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Our licensing authorities go into a tizzy if anyone asks for a 338, they have been brainwashed into thinking that the only 338 people want is the Lap Mag, which to them is a particularly nasty military sniper anti personal round and cant possibly understand why anyone would want one.

Ian.
    That is except the Police of course. Lincolnshire Police have .338 Lapua to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by johngryphon View Post
    I think that you will find that the 338NM isnt 'new' its been out there for a few years now.
    Agreed, it was a "future planned product" for Norma to release cases in 2008, and in their 2008 catalogue it said:

NEW NORMA MAGNUMS
    In all probability, we will continue extending the Norma family with three new calibers: 300, 338 and 375 Norma Magnum.
    The latest trend in big game cartridges is short, fat, belt-less magnum cases. The new Norma Magnums will be based on the 416 Rigby but with a longer case than most of the new American “Short Magnums”.
    As a consequence, the new Norma Magnums will have higher velocities and energy than the American competitors, but still fit normal length actions.

It didn't sound at the time that were too sure they wanted to go ahead, and we still haven't seen the 375 version. The 338 Norma has been reported as being very successful as a machine gun cartridge versus the 338 Lapua, which seems to eat barrels, so perhaps this spurred Norma to release it fully as a commercial venture.