Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: fire arms law

  1. #1

    fire arms law

    its been playing on my mind for some time now but when you read some posts you realise that a lot of them have very little understanding of the fire arms law in the uk. some ask things like can i use my mates rifle and can i have expand ammo posted in the uk to my address . now im not one for any type of exam or anything like it .but is it not time to think about some sort of multiple choice question paper on the fire arms laws in the uk before you get your fac . some of the things asked are braking the law and YOU DONT KNOW WHO IS WATCHING.

  2. #2
    I would agree to a law that states the new owner of a cert should attend a range/club to gain an insight to the law ,i don't mean they must belong to club and attend for weeks on end but whilst there certs are being completed and the searches done, would it be so bad to have an insight to your/the new responsibilities once you/they can go and buy their new toys this could include reloading etc.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ndt man View Post
    its been playing on my mind for some time now but when you read some posts you realise that a lot of them have very little understanding of the fire arms law in the uk. some ask things like can i use my mates rifle and can i have expand ammo posted in the uk to my address . now im not one for any type of exam or anything like it .but is it not time to think about some sort of multiple choice question paper on the fire arms laws in the uk before you get your fac . some of the things asked are braking the law and YOU DONT KNOW WHO IS WATCHING.


    Tim.243

  4. #4
    Only if all firearms licensing staff are made to sit the same exam
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

    Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

  5. #5
    I agree, but don't see there is much relevance going to a club if you are going to be shooting in the field.

    I started a similar thread not too long ago:

    Is it time a shooting law test was a requirement to hold a FAC?

    Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

  6. #6
    But don't you go to a building to do the dsc ! , as said i would not be happy to be forced to join a club as most only have .22 around my way so no point at all ,but they do and are a place to for learning about shooting skills needed all be it on paper targets that don't run away or can be wounded so is it a bad thing !!





    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I agree, but don't see there is much relevance going to a club if you are going to be shooting in the field.

    I started a similar thread not too long ago:

    Is it time a shooting law test was a requirement to hold a FAC?

  7. #7
    Oh that I was born clever and knew everything, after over 50 years of shooting I still learn something new about firearms law every day.

    I tend to only bother about the law that affects me now, and not for something that I may do in the future.

    After all, I can ask on here if I don't know and incur the wrath of those who look down their noses at twits like me asking questions, when really I should be required to go on some ruddy silly course on firearms law and learn something else that I will forget within minutes of being told.

  8. #8
    its not about looking down your nose or about silly fire arms laws or being in a club its about braking the law and letting the world know about it. i did say im not up to make a course out of it just an understanding of the fundamentals of the law . if you are caught by plod with expanding ammo and you did not have it on you fac not knowing the law aint going to save your fac from being revoked .thats the sort of thing im talking about.

  9. #9
    Surely there's enough hoops to jump through why on earth would you want to create more. No doubt BASC and the likes will now be looking into this to see how much cash they can make out of running courses.
    Better to have failed again than to have lifted someones leg

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    I would agree to a law that states the new owner of a cert should attend a range/club to gain an insight to the law ,i don't mean they must belong to club and attend for weeks on end but whilst there certs are being completed and the searches done, would it be so bad to have an insight to your/the new responsibilities once you/they can go and buy their new toys this could include reloading etc.
    On your application you are asked for relevant firearms experience. There are only a couple of clubs in my area and even then I have to travel a fair bit to attend on and the other well it is for small bore only and they have no interest in big bore. So if you are someone like me it makes things pretty hard. nut I do agree about the questionaire.

Similar Threads

  1. fire arms cert
    By valmet804 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-05-2013, 21:00
  2. travelling with fire arms
    By bunnydan in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22-05-2013, 13:37
  3. lancs fire arms
    By dirtdigger in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 20:15
  4. posting fire arms
    By bunnydan in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-05-2012, 17:18
  5. fire arms aplication
    By russ91 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-02-2010, 21:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •