Thread: jumping to lands?

jumping to lands?

I guess most of us have 10 or 20 thou to the lands, but I have a 7mm 08 and it seems to like 70thou, any one had same or at least close?

Quote Originally Posted by jtl View Post
    I guess most of us have 10 or 20 thou to the lands, but I have a 7mm 08 and it seems to like 70thou, any one had same or at least close?
    Not with that caliber,but had a massive jump with my 204r over 200 thou .If it shoots fine then crack on and shoot.
    Dave

fair one m8, it aint unheard of then.

Load my 223 to 90 thou off. Single hole at 100yards. Like charge weight there seems to be more than one sweet spot in length and often far off is better. I know those shooting barnes bullets always start 50thou back. As you say if it works dont ask why.

I have a .270 that requires a jump measured in millimetres or 1/16"ths not thou!

as above, if it shoots don't worry about it
    I don't subscribe to the "it needs to be 10-20 thou off the lands to work"
    as with charge levels I found there are sometimes more than one OAL that works

There must be many sweet spots from the lands too 100's of fow off, sweet spot could be quite wide and easier to find than you think

How far is factory ammo loaded off of the lands? and must you contact the manufacturer so that they can come measure the throat of your rifle before you purchase their product?? ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    sweet spot could be quite wide and easier to find than you think
    Sounds like a girl I knew once.......

This "must be 0.020" off the lands" has always made me smile. I found exactly the opposite and with some cartridge/bullet combinations to get that close to the lands would mean the bullet having no bullet inside the case neck.

So I put this theory into the same box as the free floating barrel one and ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    Not with that caliber,but had a massive jump with my 204r over 200 thou .If it shoots fine then crack on and shoot.
    Dave
    My 204 is seated as far out as I dare and is around 230 thou off lands. I have tried different seating depths with the 204 and very little difference in accuracy.