Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnes Tipped TSX in 308 and 300WM

Barnes Tipped TSX in 308 and 300WM

My dealer gave me a box of each to test. 150gr in and 308 and 180gr in 300WM. I had to dial down 7cm for the 308 but the 300WM needed no adjustment. Both were easy to shoot on my unmoderated rifles and I was delighted with the groups. As they are cheaper than my normal hunting ammunition I will give them ago fir the season ahead

nice job my sako 85 hated them but in truth i did't give them much of a test as i am not in favour of bt bullets on deer, my choice! i like sp or hp . What powder did you use on the ttsx.

Hi Paul. These were factory rounds! I have never used BTs on deer either but my dealer has asked me to give them a try, so I will. At least they shoot straight!
    Last edited by Conor1; 31-05-2014 at 17:09.

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    nice job my sako 85 hated them but in truth i did't give them much of a test as i am not in favour of bt bullets on deer, my choice! i like sp or hp . What powder did you use on the ttsx.
    Paul. BT in this context is Boat Tail not Ballistic Tip. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    To be fair these are anything but a ballistic tip. They behave completely differently

Yer i know but being we are on about ttsx i guess we all would know they are ballistic tip BT and i was't on about the ttsx bt bullet having a boat tail lol

30 CaliberTYPEDIA.WGT.LGTH.S.D.B.C.CAT. #BOX QTYREQ. TWIST

TIPPED TSX BT.308180 GR1.480.271.48430879501:11 OR FSTR

FECKING HELL I ONLY SAID MY SAKO DID'T LIKE THEM

sorry i was wrong to called it a bt bullet , i should have called the a 4 leaf petal ALL copper projectile driven to expand by a plastic impact driven tip ?

They consist of a fairly normal hollow-point bullet with the frontal cavity filled in by hard plastic, which is molded into a streamlined shape mimicking the shape of a spitzer bullet. Upon impact, the plastic drives into the hollow point, or fragments into small pieces and the bullet performs like a regular hollow-point, expanding ("mushrooming") to a larger diameter or fragmenting. The end result is a bullet with the streamlined characteristics of the spitzer bullet and the increased terminal mushrooming of Jacketed Hollow-Points (JHPs). These bullets possess the aerodynamics for longer, more accurate flights, and the in-target performance to ensure high lethality.
    the name or word
    Ballistic Tip" is a registered trademark of Nosler, but numerous other companies produce similar projectiles, including Hornady[1] andSierra. Nosler has always used a color code to indicate caliber on the polymer bullet tips, to make them easily distinguishable from each other: .25-blue, 6mm-purple, 6.5mm-orange, .270-yellow, 7mm-red, .30-green, 8mm-dark blue. Hornady almost universally uses red plastic tips (Hornady has produced .224" projectiles with blue plastic tips for use in civilian loads of FNH's proprietary 5.7x28mm cartridge). Sierra uses green and Swift uses black tips for their "Sirocco" plastic-tipped bullets.

Last edited by paul o'; 31-05-2014 at 18:10.

Just so there is no confusion, the rounds that I was shooting are in fact Ballistic Tips.
    Last edited by Conor1; 31-05-2014 at 18:05.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Paul. BT in this context is Boat Tail not Ballistic Tip. Regards JCS
    Paul. Apologies, I stand corrected. Regards JCS

no worries boss i thought i was going mad for a mo

If they are cheaper than your normal ammo what was your normal ammo, gold plated, these TTSX bullets are over 40 for 50.