Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blaser barrel cleaning?

Blaser barrel cleaning?

So what cleaning regime do all us folk on the 'dark side' have for our Blaser rifle barrels?

I've never been able to put the rifle back in the cupboard without first giving the barrel a good cleaning out, although I only copper strip (not that I get much out) every 40-50 rounds.

Am I overdoing the job & should I leave copper stripping alone for longer/much longer?
    As a result would I see better accuracy maintained for longer?
    What do you Blaser owners think?
    ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    A quick pull through with the Boresnake when I get back from stalking.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Just a rod through until clean if I have been practicing at the club or bore snake if I am away stalking, apart from that making sure the rifle is free from moisture asap. Never really bothered too much about copper residues but one thing to look out for is when using a mod there can be residual deposits on the crown which need prompt attention.

atb Tim

Tim. When you see the corrosion that can form on the crown if the mod is left on, you wonder why people think its OK not to clean a rifle ?

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    same here. i used to clean "properly" with hoppes and a rod + patches but i found it affected my zero.

I'll be following this thread with interest. I'm testing a new M03 at the moment and building up a picture of clean barrel first shots. I use a separate target for the first shot from a clean barrel and then shoot the next two at a second one. I'm doing this alongside not cleaning for a few outings and check zeroing periodically.

As for copper build up. The build up will have an effect on velocity and sometimes accuracy. There is a whole school of thought, mainly amongst the long distant target shooters about removing carbon but allowing copper to build until it plateaus. It will have more of a positive effect with an older barrel. Whether the effect is significant enough for us deerstalkers is another debate.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    And..is that it Willie/Tim? Next time out, next shot down the barrel - spot on? fouling shot req'd?
    No quick wipe out with a Butches/Hoppes patch & a dry patch to finish?

I'm genuinely interested in what you folk do...and what happens to the first two shots when you next fire it - we're only on the very edge of real feedback yet ref Blaser barrels.
    ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    And..is that it Willie/Tim? Next time out, next shot down the barrel - spot on? fouling shot req'd?
    No quick wipe out with a Butches/Hoppes patch & a dry patch to finish?

I'm genuinely interested in what you folk do...and what happens to the first two shots when you next fire it - we're only on the very edge of real feedback yet ref Blaser barrels.
    ATB
    Yes, next time out spot on.

At the recent Catton Park day I checked the .243 and it was spot on, so I ran the Boresnake through it and put it away. Karlbird from the site came out later that week and used it and, when he put a couple of rounds down, it was certainly close enough for Government work. Here is a photo:

They were out of a (reasonably) clean, cold, barrel and the next one cleanly downed a roe buck.

I put about 100 rounds down the .308 at Catton and will tell you next weekend whether it's still zeroed.

I have a bottle of Wipe Out but I've not used it on either Blaser yet.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 01-06-2014 at 12:50.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Please explain why a Blaser barrel would be different from any other barrel made the same way?

As I understand it there are three ways to make a barrel. Button rifled, Hammer forged and cut rifled. I am unsure as to which Blaser uses but suspect it will be button rifled. The equipment and set up is cheaper to start I believe. tried a web search and it seems Blaser are cagey about telling the method they use.