Thread: The calls of the Wild , The sounds of Domestication and the silence.

The calls of the Wild , The sounds of Domestication and the silence.

Darkness creates a mysterious and sometimes alien environment for most but I love being in the dark,

After the heat of the day where the most comfort I get is from hanging my head out the window of the car at 60mph, like some mad demented pooch enjoying its ears flapping in the wind, the darkness and cool air of the night gives me some relief. In the night the world is definitely a different creature providing your senses with a whole new lease of life. Nothing more Alien to the world is the sounds and its alarming volume.

Let me explain? Have you ever been sitting at night watching the TV after everyone has gone to bed and you feel like you are the only one alive and the volume of the TV just seems to get louder and every slight creek in the house seems to be a racket? well increase that volume 100% where the wind in the trees sounds like traffic on a motorway and the distant bark of the kenneled dogs seems like it is right next you, even the sudden start of a wood pigeon from the trees seems to be like thundering strikes on a drum as it beats through the trees to get away from whatever is stalking it.

Last night was no different than any other spring night but maybe a little more alive with noise. A distant doe whistles its high pitched sound to warn others of dangers or to call a buck (never can tell the difference lol ), a couple of cuckoos strike up their hollow song and you hear the movement of grouse but the hardest noise to hide from the back of your mind is the high pitched sometimes frightening bark of a straying fox you clearly know it is coming from the otherside of the glen far from your permission but the frustration of it all is that you hear it like it is a couple of feet away making you jump slightly with excitement thinking you are going to get that crucial sight of red, but alas nothing.

The night drags on but none the less magical with owls and curlews putting in the odd word, lamping from side to side sitting just waiting for a glimpse of something you realise you are never alone sitting in the darkness but you are always safe and always feel alive and vigilant.

The crisp sharp twinge of cold dew upon your face helps you tell that the temperature is changing and a light vapour mist in your lamps beam intensifies the closer you get to Dawn where a whole new world will be alive, This night/morning no shot was fired but nonetheless it was still an amazing nights hunting and worth every second.

Voice 002.mp3
    Last edited by Tulloch; 02-06-2014 at 12:54.

I know what you mean - I absolutely love being out in the countryside - it's the only time when I relax properly. I do my best to become part of the fabric of the environment, and to be better at it I try to learn everything I can about the world around me, from the names of the plants to the habits of the creatures. Doing so at night (almost every night of the year!) with both NV and thermal imaging equipment takes it all to another level - it's like having your own private David Attenborough show, what with the antics of all the bats, deer, hedgehogs, dormice, and so on. If I get a shot too, so much the better!

Great read again!

Quote Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
    Darkness creates a mysterious and sometimes alien environment for most but I love being in the dark,

After the heat of the day where the most comfort I get is from hanging my head out the window of the car at 60mph, like some mad demented pooch enjoying its ears flapping in the wind, the darkness and cool air of the night gives me some relief. In the night the world is definitely a different creature providing your senses with a whole new lease of life. Nothing more Alien to the world is the sounds and its alarming volume.

Let me explain? Have you ever been sitting at night watching the TV after everyone has gone to bed and you feel like you are the only one alive and the volume of the TV just seems to get louder and every slight creek in the house seems to be a racket? well increase that volume 100% where the wind in the trees sounds like traffic on a motorway and the distant bark of the kenneled dogs seems like it is right next you, even the sudden start of a wood pigeon from the trees seems to be like thundering strikes on a drum as it beats through the trees to get away from whatever is stalking it.

Last night was no different than any other spring night but maybe a little more alive with noise. A distant doe whistles its high pitched sound to warn others of dangers or to call a buck (never can tell the difference lol ), a couple of cuckoos strike up their hollow song and you hear the movement of grouse but the hardest noise to hide from the back of your mind is the high pitched sometimes frightening bark of a straying fox you clearly know it is coming from the otherside of the glen far from your permission but the frustration of it all is that you hear it like it is a couple of feet away making you jump slightly with excitement thinking you are going to get that crucial sight of red, but alas nothing.

The night drags on but none the less magical with owls and curlews putting in the odd word, lamping from side to side sitting just waiting for a glimpse of something you realise you are never alone sitting in the darkness but you are always safe and always feel alive and vigilant.

The crisp sharp twinge of cold dew upon your face helps you tell that the temperature is changing and a light vapour mist in your lamps beam intensifies the closer you get to Dawn where a whole new world will be alive, This night/morning no shot was fired but nonetheless it was still an amazing nights hunting and worth every second.
    Dear Sir
    I know exactly what you mean...tranquillity

I like to hear the Curlews best of all, a really haunting sound, not so keen on the cock pheasant outside the bedroom window at four in the morning. We actually don't have many foxes and generally only hear the odd vixen early in the year, there is so much to listen for the snipe are drumming now, herons and their rasping call seems to gain some sort of special significance during the night, the cuckoos are about halfway through their stay, the geese have finished their migration, there was a buck barking the other evening which is a rarity with us nowadays. I don't know if it is just me or not but there does seem to be an extra buzz to the dawn chorus this year, the choir seems to have got quite a few new members, there certainly seems to have been quite a few successful clutches of blackbirds, thrushes, robins, yellowhammers and chaffinch this year. Plus we have pheasant chicks the size of chaffinch running around the garden with their mum, no wonder we love this time of year.

However come the backend and the reds start roaring that will stir the blood and when the sika start whistling that will chill the blood .

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Well I got to put it you chaps that's what its about sadly my sounds are some what different. This was at 6 am