Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: when will it end

when will it end

been having one of my worst years ever on the foxes this year basicaly just not seeing them at all, i couldnt even take you to see a litter of cubs at the moment and i havnt even seen a cub yet, ive had a run of about 6 lamping sessions with out even pulling the trigger but the ones i have seen throughout the year and shot at i might just have thrown the rifle at. I usually work on a 95-100% accuracy rate on foxes, by not taking any chances with stupid shots and keeping distances down below 200yrds for the the most part in fact as close as i think they will come as im shooting foxes for keepers and dont to make there jobs any harder than it has to be, but this year im struggling to keep ratio above 80% not helped by a stupid miss last night (about 180yrds but off a bipod caused by me snatching the trigger) which if im honest just felt imbarassing by. I know what my answer is just keep going forget the missis and just concentrate on the next shot and maybe bust a few crows at range in the mean time but im just wondering what you lads do when all else seems to fail around you

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    been having one of my worst years ever on the foxes this year basicaly just not seeing them at all, i couldnt even take you to see a litter of cubs at the moment and i havnt even seen a cub yet, ive had a run of about 6 lamping sessions with out even pulling the trigger but the ones i have seen throughout the year and shot at i might just have thrown the rifle at. I usually work on a 95-100% accuracy rate on foxes, by not taking any chances with stupid shots and keeping distances down below 200yrds for the the most part in fact as close as i think they will come as im shooting foxes for keepers and dont to make there jobs any harder than it has to be, but this year im struggling to keep ratio above 80% not helped by a stupid miss last night (about 180yrds but off a bipod caused by me snatching the trigger) which if im honest just felt imbarassing by. I know what my answer is just keep going forget the missis and just concentrate on the next shot and maybe bust a few crows at range in the mean time but im just wondering what you lads do when all else seems to fail around you
    chill man

go back back to basics. Stalk em up to a 100 and or wait in ambush to same distance. I know time is an issue sometimes but it's worth just sitting down and wait for em to come to you

atb

phil

its been same up here loads of lamping no foxes ,dont know whats going on,last year loads about calling pairing this year zilch,i dont think they are about as theres a hell of a lot of bunnies about at all times day/night,
    DONT START

Bottom line is they are smarter than you and have plenty cover to hide in.

I know how you feel! Last year I was mopping up all sorts of incoming cubs by now and getting all my friends over to stake out earths with me but this year, other than three pregnant and one milky vixens, I've seen nothing. I reset my counter on April 1 and I'm on 2 so far as opposed to 20 normally!

I can't put my finger on anything too drastic to have caused the lack of foxes but our earths did lay wet for a long time this spring.
    As for missing- forget and move on is the only cure. A bit of dry firing won't hurt but it sounds like a blip.
    I jest sometimes at how infathomable to me it is to miss a whole deer but a fox is a tiny target in comparison.
    Someone on UKVARMINTING mentioned not missing a fox in 130 odd kills which sounds way out of the league of most of us mortals. I don't get too upset if I miss one in ten personally and the cause is almost always rushing. I nearly always get the same fox in the following 48hrs though as I go mad

Christ we have shot 24 in may alone!

Just persist, I know it is harder now that the later nights are coming in , i can still shoot without a lamp til near on 2330 and that makes it hard as if you can see them they dam well can see you. I would take a chill relax and start going back to basics , start just going out for the fun of it and not for the shot and then the shot will come when you least expect it. if your missing on the lamp then that is a little bit of a pain as that fox wont forget that lamp so easy, but you will get there ...

truly do feel for you mate.

Glad it's not just me, havnt seen a fox for about two weeks now, not like last year, had 11 in ons night! As for missing don't worry about it, it happens to everyone, cheers

I had a bad 6 weeks mid March to end of April not one but now back to normal as such 6 in 3 weeks

Good evening, these last 2 month it's been quiet on the fox front on lamp, hardly seeing any, and covering a fair lump of ground as well, but at least what I have seen been knocking down.

On the cubs I have only seen 1 cub so far and got that using the photon. When I picked it up I was surprised how big it was. I would have expected seeing loads more the size it was. But all the fields have been chopped now so we shall see what we can get now.

Will keep on trying