Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet seating problem

Bullet seating problem

Hi all,

Whilst reloading .223 50g vmax rounds, when I come to seat the bullet depth, very regularly the bullet head is getting stuck in the die as I try and seat it.
    This hasn't happened before and I have tried a different die I had laying around and the same thing is happening.
    I"ve obviously done something different to normal, anyone have an idea?

Many thanks

Strip the die and give it a good clean, is it getting stuck on the upstroke- might be and alignment problem so also check you have the right shell holder and its inserted properly and theres no excess play in the press, or is it sticking on the down stroke in which case it might just need a good degunge

Hi thanks,
    getting stuck on the up stroke, its the same as I've used before, i have stripped it down and given a clean to no avail too.
    Cheers

Have you got enough neck tension?

it could be the profile of the seating pin compared to the profile of the vmax

you can drill the hole in the pin out if careful
    or
    get a gunsmith/machinist to copy the VMax profile and open it out

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocker101 View Post
    Hi all,

Whilst reloading .223 50g vmax rounds, when I come to seat the bullet depth, very regularly the bullet head is getting stuck in the die as I try and seat it.
    This hasn't happened before and I have tried a different die I had laying around and the same thing is happening.
    I"ve obviously done something different to normal, anyone have an idea?

Many thanks
    At a guess your 1st seater die is the Lee with a floating seater? I think the bullet tip is maybe bottoming in the hollow nose punch at the point where the bullet ogive is wedged against the inner walls .... so the nose punch is gripping it. It doesn't happen with conventional or less pointy bullet shapes.

What brand is the 2nd seater die?
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

yes, you're right they are both lee dies. I will have another good look tonight and report back cheers for the info fellas

+1 to srvet - do you have enough neck tension in your cases?
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Have you tried seating bullets with a different profile in these dies?

If other bullets stick too, then your problem is likely to be with the brass: possibly insufficient neck tension (as has already been suggested), perhaps caused by over-worked brass that needs annealing or replacing.

How many reloads has your brass had?
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

I had a similar problem loading 60gn 223 vmax bullets with Lee dies, except the poylmer tip would be pulled off the bullet and left in the seating die.

Like brewher500 and sinistral have said, I think it's to do with the shape of the seating plug in the lee die . . . try coating a bullet with marker-pen and rubbing it in the die to see where they make contact. In any event, I solved my problem by drilling into the nose of the seating plug a little, so the polymer tip no longer makes contact with it.

Triffid