Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More pine marten action

More pine marten action

It has been a while since I posted some pine marten action so here are a few from the end of April:

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Interesting little things, we have them here down in the borders, have had for quite some time, they were released and introduced some years ago. (Although not officially)

George.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser243 View Post
    we have them here down in the borders
    If you want to attract them, assuming you are not over run with them, then my experiments have shown that eggs, raspberry jam and peanuts are very effective - the stuff on the ground that this one is eating is peanuts.

The fox will take the eggs and jam once he catches on but he isn't so keen on the peanuts as they catch in his teeth so if you put out a good supply of peanuts then the pine marten has something to eat when he pops by. I've got about 10 hours or more of video of this one now.

There is some recently published research done in Ireland indicating that red squirrels are making a comeback where the pine marten is also doing well. It looks like the pine marten can kill greys but very rarely manages to catch a red. There are reds in the forest where this video was shot though I've never seen any in this precise area and they've not come down for the peanuts.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

+1, got a road kill stuffed last year, seems they are making a big comeback in Ireland. It can only be good for biodiversity.

They shoot Marten in Slovenia:

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 06-06-2014 at 14:00.

As new boy I cannot post link yet but I think that is Stone Marten in your photograph Klenchblaize. Stone Marten because it has white bib. Pine Marten have cream coloured bib. Sorry if I am mistaken here but the difference is true.

Quote Originally Posted by mcadre View Post
    As new boy I cannot post link yet but I think that is Stone Marten in your photograph Klenchblaize. Stone Marten because it has white bib. Pine Marten have cream coloured bib. Sorry if I am mistaken here but the difference is true.
    I'm sure you are correct.

I've amended post.

Cheers

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    They shoot Marten in Slovenia
    Because they can? Because they've got lots of them and a few won't be missed? Because they do damage? Because they taste delicious?
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Because they can? Because they've got lots of them and a few won't be missed? Because they do damage? Because they taste delicious?
    Yes. Yes. Yes. No. The Stone Marten (in the photograph) is in Latin Martes foina. It likes to live in haylofts (foenum means hay) and eat chickens. Maybe it tastes of chicken? I do not think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Because they don't appear on BBC's "Spring Watch"!