Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running in a new barrel -

Running in a new barrel -

I am taking delivery of a new .308w this week and would like some advice on 'running in' a new barrel - it is really necessary with modern precision made barrels, or is this laborious process of '1 shot, clean; 1 shot, clean, 1 shot, clean' etc etc a conspiracy by the suppliers of barrel-cleaning materials?
    Btw the rifle will be used for stalking, not for target shooting.
    I would appreciate some views but only if they are backed up by facts (i.e. some evidence of tests/benchmarking) not just opinions based on thin air. Has anybody actually tested two brand new identical barrels, one run in using the above described process, one just used straight out of the box, and was there a noticeable (= measurable!) difference in accuracy?
    Thank you.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

"Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    I am taking delivery of a new .308w this week and would like some advice on 'running in' a new barrel - it is really necessary with modern precision made barrels, or is this laborious process of '1 shot, clean; 1 shot, clean, 1 shot, clean' etc etc a conspiracy by the suppliers of barrel-cleaning materials?
    Btw the rifle will be used for stalking, not for target shooting.
    I would appreciate some views but only if they are backed up by facts (i.e. some evidence of tests/benchmarking) not just opinions based on thin air. Has anybody actually tested two brand new identical barrels, one run in using the above described process, one just used straight out of the box, and was there a noticeable (= measurable!) difference in accuracy?
    Thank you.
    been done before, a few times

Breaking in new barrel ???

Proof house run mine in. My latest rifle, reasonable quality kit, had 2 rounds at proof, then a clean, then quick zero and shot a comp with it, was cleaned after comp when it had done 150 ish rounds, with a pretty hot load, some 10 shot strings. I shot 5 bullets yesterday with it in the same hole at 120m.

you are the weakest link, not the barrel or the way you shot it in.

Interested you state precision barrel, have you had a custom rifle built? What make barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    Proof house run mine in. My latest rifle, reasonable quality kit, had 2 rounds at proof, then a clean, then quick zero and shot a comp with it, was cleaned after comp when it had done 150 ish rounds, with a pretty hot load, some 10 shot strings. I shot 5 bullets yesterday with it in the same hole at 120m.

you are the weakest link, not the barrel or the way you shot it in.

Interested you state precision barrel, have you had a custom rifle built? What make barrel?
    No it is a factory Steyr Mannlicher barrel - I would like to think it is a 'precision' bit of engineering nevertheless.

"1 shot, 1 clean", is not the way to break in a barrel.
    Barrels on the Steyr and Blaser are so hard and polished from the hammer forging that they are as slick as many hand lapped custom barrels.

Do clean it right out of the box, gently as if you had just shot it, with a nylon brush and solvent, then dry patch, then oil, then dry patch. Use a bore guide and don't let the brush or patch come out of the muzzle and beat up the crown with the cleaning rod, of course.

The Steyr manual says nothing about break in.
    But it cannot hurt shoot a box of 20 rounds and clean at 2, 5, 9, 14 and 20 when done. That is what I would do with Ruger, Winchester, etc.
    That is what I did with my slightly used .308 Pro Hunter, although it looked spotless in the bore.

I have a new Steyr PH in 7x64, and will probably do that as I sight it in and see how it likes a factory load. The worst thing most people do is shoot a box through a new rifle, too fast, and heat the barrel too much. Heat and improper cleaning destroy a lot more barrels than shooting does.

I find it good to give a light cleaning if I am testing loads and change powders.

For experience with someone trying different techniques on identical rifles, you will need more than 2 rifles. You need answers from someone at a factory, or custom house, or army armorer, who has worked with hundreds of the same weapon.
    Last edited by Southern; 02-06-2014 at 22:08.

It's a hammer forged barrel. No need whatever to 'break in' as it will not have any rough machine marks left within the bore, it will be as smooth as a baby's bum. Just go shoot it and enjoy it.

-JMS

Many thanks to those who responded - you learn something every day!

Interesting bit about the brush leaving the bore as I have a Norma booklet here and it covers cleaning and it says the brush must leave the muzzle to clean properly. Of course Norma would know nothing about proper barrel care would they .

Wonder how many folks realise that Norma had a gunsmithing department?

I've just bought a weihrauch hw 60 j in .22 hornet and was surprised to see the manuel said to use felt wads or cleaning rods with cords but not wire brushes or steel tipped cleaning rods. Says nothing of shooting the barrel in just clean after each use.