Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning x bolt 30-06

Browning x bolt 30-06

Just put in for a variation to pitt st last week . Im thinking of getting a browning x bolt in the above calibre. Whats the views on it from people who have or had one and what would be the best moderator for balance on it. Also whats the best round and bullet weight....scott

i had an xbolt in .223. I liked the rifle only issue was the heavy trigger (which i think they have fixed) and the bolt action wasn't the smoothest.

i fitted a third eye spartan mod, but probably should have gone for a reflex to shift the weight back a bit.

I am selling my XBOLT 30-06 soon, not because there is anything wrong with it (there isn't) it's just that my other 2 rifles are Sako's and i want to complete the family with a Sako 85.
    I have a Wildcat Mod but don't like mods so that will be sold with it.
    The trigger was way too heavy when i bought it but it has been adjusted down and its fine.
    I used 150 grain Norma and got good groups to say the least, as was Federal, but my own 165 grain Sierra Game kings work a treat.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    I am selling my XBOLT 30-06 soon, not because there is anything wrong with it (there isn't) it's just that my other 2 rifles are Sako's and i want to complete the family with a Sako 85.
    The trigger was way too heavy when i bought it but it has been adjusted down and its fine.
    I used 150 grain Norma and got good groups to say the least, as was Federal, but my own 165 grain Sierra Game kings work a treat.
    Cheers
    Richard
    Thanks richard. I was reading that you can adjust the trigger pull from 5 - 3 lbs and its always federals I use . As artschool has said about moderators I'll be looking at the T8 reflex as thats all I have used but would look into something a tad smaller......scott

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Cheers
    Richard

How ow much you after for that? Thanks

I have an X-bolt medallion back in the States in 30-06, and I wish it were here so I could give it to you. I bought into the hype and all the articles on the new rifle and regret it. Its a nice looking rifle but the wood stock is epoxy coated, and the action is investment cast. I like the bolt lift and the trigger, but I just never shot well with it, both factory ammo and reloads. 1.5MOA was my best, which is a problem at 300 yards. Maybe its too light. Some tell me Browning has a longer freebore which hurts accuracy. Gunsmith also hate to work on them. Browning is owned by FNH, and I have no idea what they are doing with this line; its not what it used to be. My other 30-06 is a Mauser built off a FN commercial action and my UK rifle is a SAKO 6.5x55 in a L61R action. Despite their age both shoot solidly sub MOA and they are build like tanks, to last.

From my experience, buy a Tika, Savage, Remington 700 or Winchester (if you want control feed), or get an older SAKO. Just my opinion, others may have had better experiences. -Z

I brought a x bolt in 308 today reading all the hype it looks nice and feels good but it feeds poorly and the recoil shook my sights loose twice while zeroing so I am not liking it at the moment but its brand new out the box so ill give it a chance

I have 2 x bolts (7mm and 375) and think they are a great looking well designed gun. Safety is easy to engage even with gloves and cold hands. 1 piece ring / base combo is a great idea why don't more guns have these??

My 7mm isn't super accurate (1moa on a really good day) but then again I don't shoot past 200 yards. Probably like a lot of manufacturers it's luck of the draw next one off the line may be a tack driver. And I left the 375 with open sights so who cares about accuracy!?

Quote Originally Posted by red field View Post
    I brought a x bolt in 308 today reading all the hype it looks nice and feels good but it feeds poorly and the recoil shook my sights loose twice while zeroing so I am not liking it at the moment but its brand new out the box so ill give it a chance
    I thought i originally had a problem with my 30-06, nothing wrong with the gun, it was the mounts, what mounts are you using?
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I have an X-bolt medallion back in the States in 30-06, and I wish it were here so I could give it to you. I bought into the hype and all the articles on the new rifle and regret it. Its a nice looking rifle but the wood stock is epoxy coated, and the action is investment cast. I like the bolt lift and the trigger, but I just never shot well with it, both factory ammo and reloads. 1.5MOA was my best, which is a problem at 300 yards. Maybe its too light. Some tell me Browning has a longer freebore which hurts accuracy. Gunsmith also hate to work on them. Browning is owned by FNH, and I have no idea what they are doing with this line; its not what it used to be. My other 30-06 is a Mauser built off a FN commercial action and my UK rifle is a SAKO 6.5x55 in a L61R action. Despite their age both shoot solidly sub MOA and they are build like tanks, to last.

From my experience, buy a Tika, Savage, Remington 700 or Winchester (if you want control feed), or get an older SAKO. Just my opinion, others may have had better experiences. -Z
    You would probably be surprised to learn just how many fire arm parts are investment cast using the lost wax technique. It's the modern way. Forging is just too expensive and get's in the way of the worship of "The Great God Excessive profit" the days of making a reasonable profit are long gone it seems. despite old established companies working this way for decades or a century or more they got it wrong according the the greed mongers of today and those same greed mongers are using their greed ideas and funnily enough driving those same established firms tot eh wall.

Who got it correct then is the question? ................................... to which the greed mongers don't like the answer and won't admit it was them.

Are you sure the mounts are the correct ones and are they fitted correctly?

This seems to be the most likely source of your problem. Then check the stock bedding. Sadly factory rifles, modern ones at least seem to skimp on this again to increase profits, the idea that making a good reliable product will entice the customer back and to recommend it seems alien to teh greed mongers.