Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poaching- how bad is it

Poaching- how bad is it

I'm starting to read in a few threads about poaching being bad here and seeing people out there etc so as an ex-keeper ( and probably a nosey person) I was wondering how bad it is getting out there?
    We were fortunate where I was having a large staff and very few public roads running through the place but it was going on around us.

With all the good night vision gear around now, they don't even need a lamp! so it is probably worse than we all think.
    Atb blue

Very true.
    The increase in NV stuff did eventually get my boss to shell out for some to watch with.
    I was used to dogs being used but I have noticed that firearms are the norm nowadays and I do wonder how (if they are off ticket) they manage to get stuff so easily

Based on my experience (right inside the ring road in Edinburgh), it's common. And the dog finds a gralloch every second or third time we go for walks in Roslin glen.

And they're not using off-ticket firearms. They have legally held rifles, and just chance their arm at night/on unauthorised land when they think no one's watching.

One chap even had the brilliant idea of phoning the police for an incident number every time he was out. The police don't (usually) check if you actually have the permission for that bit of land - or at least not until something goes wrong (like the legitimate permission holder turning up). So it meant that if anyone phoned in to report him, the police would say 'oh yes, we know', and leave him be. Balls of brass, and it worked for a good few months (possibly years).

it,s bad over this way aswell, one lad i know has been shooting in donegal for years and he says this year he is not going to bother he says its shot out

Talking to a gunsmith last week he used to do a lot of stalking and of course we were chatting about Deer in general he was telling me that the amount of night vision stuff going out of his shop was frightening as he suspects much is used for more than just vermin control.
    Another thing we agreed on was as long as the media(and others) keep saying there are too many deer the police will do little to stop poaching.

I have heard that one known poacher boasted at having taken 18 deer off one area not far from here before Christmas.

The trouble is the punishment isn't sever enough if they got caught and proving it can be tricky, are the
    police actually that bothered..?? So obviously the risk is worth it otherwise they wouldn't be doing it and money speaks. Should more be done on game dealers, pubs restaurants etc....?

Also when people are advertising group meet up in relation to deer whether it's social or a course in the evening poachers no that approx 20 stalkers won't be on there land leaving them free to have a poach.
    Im sure most poachers will no the actual stalker who has the land they are poaching to.

+1

they should have all their assets removed and sold

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    The trouble is the punishment isn't sever enough if they got caught and proving it can be tricky, are the
    police actually that bothered..?? So obviously the risk is worth it otherwise they wouldn't be doing it and money speaks. Should more be done on game dealers, pubs restaurants etc....?

Also when people are advertising group meet up in relation to deer whether it's social or a course in the evening poachers no that approx 20 stalkers won't be on there land leaving them free to have a poach.
    Im sure most poachers will no the actual stalker who has the land they are poaching to.

I have sorted my illegal entry problem for those thinking my signs do not mean anything and that phoning in to the police make it less worng , I have set up with the police on my permission that they will not accept any call ins from people other than myself and if someone does call in they are told to contact me and the police give me a quick call to say someone has called in to go shooting on my permission then I take a quick drive by.

It has happened once now and the lad was caught by me and given a warning if he does it again I will have police on scene.

Granted this does not fix poaching as such but it does fix half the problem with people that have permissions that are now cancelled from coming onto the ground, and I am not hearless I know how difficult it is to get ground so I always offer a warning first but if they have shot a deer and I catch them I will contact police and confiscate the carcass.

The do as you likeys around cheshire are using bows now you can see them on the waste land they practice for hours doesn't make a noise