Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patterdale terriers

Patterdale terriers

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some information of patterdales, im thinking of getting one and just looking for a bit of information. Do they have a good temprement, i have a 5 year old daughter so it will be and in door pet the majority of the time but also my stalking buddy. Will they make a bidable deer dog? im not talking about tracking 3 day old scents etc but if a deer gets into cover will the patterdale be able to find it if put on the track realtivly soon after the shot? also be used for the od bit of rabbit shooting. but mainly will it be quiet and walk at heel or is it likely to go tearing off down the fire break if its gets a whif of anything?

I know a lab is the obvious choice but her in doors is moaning that they are to big and hairy and messy so its a bit of a compromise.

Cheers BB

hi bb ive had a few patterdales and crosses most have been brilliant one was a nightmare it had bumped into a badger as a pup ,with previous owner and was a lunatic ok with kids on lead even at shows but anything with fur other than dogs and well enough said, all the others were mad keen to please/work or show,the problem lies with the terrier part once they get fired up on scent be it rabbit /fox ,dont know about deer as i say might be a hand full ,as with any dog its difficult to say,good luck with your choice whatever dog you choose,doug,
    DONT START

Send me a pm if you like mate I keep fell terriers and have worked them a lot on the past but mainly to charlie
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

pm sent
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

I think I would prefer a Border around young kids..

I like Patterdales, and they make great workers, but the ones I 've seen that have been worked regularly on Charlie or even rats, were all a little nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E View Post
    I think I would prefer a Border around young kids..

I like Patterdales, and they make great workers, but the ones I 've seen that have been worked regularly on Charlie or even rats, were all a little nuts!
    +1 or a nice Border/Lakeland cross.
    The black Lakelands can really be headbangers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alice and pups on first day..jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	42952My sons patterdale bitch gave birth to 4 pups, 1 bitch and 3 dogs in the early hours today. both parents are great house dogs and live with children and other dogs with no issues, with some of the scum walking the streets nowadays, they make great little bodyguards.

Paul
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboab29 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some information of patterdales, im thinking of getting one and just looking for a bit of information. Do they have a good temprement, i have a 5 year old daughter so it will be and in door pet the majority of the time but also my stalking buddy. Will they make a bidable deer dog? im not talking about tracking 3 day old scents etc but if a deer gets into cover will the patterdale be able to find it if put on the track realtivly soon after the shot? also be used for the od bit of rabbit shooting. but mainly will it be quiet and walk at heel or is it likely to go tearing off down the fire break if its gets a whif of anything?

I know a lab is the obvious choice but her in doors is moaning that they are to big and hairy and messy so its a bit of a compromise.

Cheers BB
    Fantastic wee dogs, but with hunting drive like nothing else I've ever seen.. . The one I had would neither walk on a lead, recall for love nor money, and would hunt and kill anything which had a heartbeat.

It even chased and eventually bayed a young buck against a deer fence once, I hasten to add a perfectly healthy one which hadn't been shot. It pegged pheasants virtually on a daily basis and chased anything which ran from it.
    It was wholly uncontrollable and that's coming from someone with two GWPs.

I think like all breeds, much of how they will turn out depends on their lines and breeding. .

Don't look at my post as being negative, because the truth is I think they are cracking wee dogs, I discovered I simply didn't have the type of work available for it which it so sorely needed.
    Last edited by Cadex; 15-06-2014 at 11:11.

Pure hard working dog with emphasis on hard. Best suited to ground work and ratting in my opinion.

i may be looking for a tunneller
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class