Patterdale terriers

Bigboab29

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some information of patterdales, im thinking of getting one and just looking for a bit of information. Do they have a good temprement, i have a 5 year old daughter so it will be and in door pet the majority of the time but also my stalking buddy. Will they make a bidable deer dog? im not talking about tracking 3 day old scents etc but if a deer gets into cover will the patterdale be able to find it if put on the track realtivly soon after the shot? also be used for the od bit of rabbit shooting. but mainly will it be quiet and walk at heel or is it likely to go tearing off down the fire break if its gets a whif of anything?

I know a lab is the obvious choice but her in doors is moaning that they are to big and hairy and messy so its a bit of a compromise.

Cheers BB

hi bb ive had a few patterdales and crosses most have been brilliant one was a nightmare it had bumped into a badger as a pup ,with previous owner and was a lunatic ok with kids on lead even at shows but anything with fur other than dogs and well enough said, all the others were mad keen to please/work or show,the problem lies with the terrier part once they get fired up on scent be it rabbit /fox ,dont know about deer as i say might be a hand full ,as with any dog its difficult to say,good luck with your choice whatever dog you choose,doug,

Send me a pm if you like mate I keep fell terriers and have worked them a lot on the past but mainly to charlie

I think I would prefer a Border around young kids..

I like Patterdales, and they make great workers, but the ones I 've seen that have been worked regularly on Charlie or even rats, were all a little nuts!

I think I would prefer a Border around young kids..

I like Patterdales, and they make great workers, but the ones I 've seen that have been worked regularly on Charlie or even rats, were all a little nuts!

+1 or a nice Border/Lakeland cross.
The black Lakelands can really be headbangers

alice and pups on first day..jpgMy sons patterdale bitch gave birth to 4 pups, 1 bitch and 3 dogs in the early hours today. both parents are great house dogs and live with children and other dogs with no issues, with some of the scum walking the streets nowadays, they make great little bodyguards.

Paul

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some information of patterdales, im thinking of getting one and just looking for a bit of information. Do they have a good temprement, i have a 5 year old daughter so it will be and in door pet the majority of the time but also my stalking buddy. Will they make a bidable deer dog? im not talking about tracking 3 day old scents etc but if a deer gets into cover will the patterdale be able to find it if put on the track realtivly soon after the shot? also be used for the od bit of rabbit shooting. but mainly will it be quiet and walk at heel or is it likely to go tearing off down the fire break if its gets a whif of anything?

I know a lab is the obvious choice but her in doors is moaning that they are to big and hairy and messy so its a bit of a compromise.

Cheers BB

Fantastic wee dogs, but with hunting drive like nothing else I've ever seen.. . The one I had would neither walk on a lead, recall for love nor money, and would hunt and kill anything which had a heartbeat.

It even chased and eventually bayed a young buck against a deer fence once, I hasten to add a perfectly healthy one which hadn't been shot. It pegged pheasants virtually on a daily basis and chased anything which ran from it.
It was wholly uncontrollable and that's coming from someone with two GWPs.

I think like all breeds, much of how they will turn out depends on their lines and breeding. .

Don't look at my post as being negative, because the truth is I think they are cracking wee dogs, I discovered I simply didn't have the type of work available for it which it so sorely needed.

Last edited:
We had a patterdale cross and she was a fab dog very good with are two little girls ,my friend has a pure patterdale call pipin its so full off personality you can,t help but like them I would have one in a flash

We have a Patterdale bitch. The sweetest dog with people, she came to our wedding. She is sleeping on the bed now. Full of personality.

I wouldn't like to be a small fury animal in her company.

Amazing little dogs.

I replied to the thread "how much can I achieve with my Patterdale? with the quote below.

It really does depend note individual dog.

My first deer dog was a patterdale, and I still have and use him but I have since got a bigger dog.

You need to be firm, very firm and consistent. They are absolutely capable of following a blood trail indeed mine is very good at it their prey drive is immense so if you can steer that in the right direction you are on to a winner.

Mine will stalk at heel, as a younger dog he did run in on 2 or 3 occasions. Amazing how they can get to a deer faster than a bullet. That was my fault. I trusted him too soon. A very thorough chat was had after about why he shouldn't have done it and I think he understood.

His is sit and stay is amazing, very steady like that.

Often I think he switches his hearing off when it comes to recall but a whistle has helped with that.

A lot of people told me about the going to ground stuff but in my experience it's ********. He has never gone to ground, he has never known any better so why would he? That said I don't take any chances. Just in case I'm wrong.

In short, give it a go. Think very hard about how, and what you do in training try not to make any mistakes! Remember that he will want to push his luck at any opportunity so be firm, patient and consistent. Use a lead definitely use a lead and a Long line for tracking (although I hate this method) but you need to have some control over them.

Oh yeah. When he does find his first deer... Or his second or any deer be very careful what you do with your hands around him.

Although he causes me some grief at times I don't think I ever want to be without one. Who wants an easy life anyway?

speaking of them being hard. Even ticks don't bite him. Never had one on him and he's 6 now. The other dog is like a magnet.

Have to agree with Jubnut - Give it a go..! I have Patterdale blood in both my main working dogs and to be honest I wouldn't be without it, my main hunting up/bushing dog I had before was good but the introduction of Patterdale blood has taken it on to another level and improved it all round, The prey drive is so much more in the dog I have now and the scenting ability is also so much better, I had a pure Patterdale before and she was the most biddable Terrier I have ever had, She came from REAL working stock but with a bit of time and effort she came good, Certainly better than my Lakeland and Border x Lakeland I had previously who both I had to re-home.
I have a litter here now that I have bred from my two workers that has Patterdale blood (and other stuff) on both the Mum and Dads side, I have bred them to keep that blood in my line of Hunting up and working dogs for years to come, I find Patterdales have two different characters, one for indoors and one for out which I think is excellent, I find them no problem with people either, other dogs can be another matter sometimes it just depends as Jubnut said on the individual dog.
Put the time and effort in regards training and how you introduce them and you should be ok, They are clever dogs and soon learn.

My son has paterdales and I have had them, never had a problem with kids, but like most terriers from working lines will like to get friendly with anything in fur or feather. Like any dog it's how you train them, but when they get exited they leave there brains at home.

hi bb ive had a few patterdales and crosses most have been brilliant one was a nightmare it had bumped into a badger as a pup ,with previous owner and was a lunatic ok with kids on lead even at shows but anything with fur other than dogs and well enough said, all the others were mad keen to please/work or show,the problem lies with the terrier part once they get fired up on scent be it rabbit /fox ,dont know about deer as i say might be a hand full ,as with any dog its difficult to say,good luck with your choice whatever dog you choose,doug,

my mate has a pup,as soon as it scents anything its gone, complete nutter.:stag::fox:

Cracking little dogs with the heart of a lion, yes they can be fiesty and hard of hearing but theres very little that will faxe them. If brought up with cats they will be cat safe.
My bitch is great with children, other dogs that friends own (but not every dog she meets!) she has a cracking nose and works well on pheasant and in the ground. Be carefull about the lines, there ate some very hard Pattys out there that just want to take on the world with no thought or worries about their own health.

Back