A question ref carcass

Gundoc

being a bit new to this game, something has come up that ive not had explained.on a stalk/ high seat trip ive been told its £xx for the session, then £xx for shooting a beast then carcass is at game dealers rates.question, is that based on overall weight?so if the beasty weighs 25kg and the game rate is £3 a kilo its £xx + £xx + £75?just trying to figure out wheter the value of the meat from the beast is worth the cost of the carcass.

The charges would probably be as you have outlined (depending on the prevailing game dealer rates). The carcass would normally be charged at the larder weight (ie weighed after gralloch and less head and lower legs)

Last edited:
I think the game dealer price should be made clear as the prices can differ by quite a lot up and down the country.
Here its £2.40 a Kilo.

Try and find an outfit that don't charge a shot fee so say £75 per outing then £xx for a carcass plus £x if you wished it dressed and vac-packed ,i hate shot fee's and won't book if thats part of the deal, i normally buy one of the same size chilled on dressed, oven ready if you wish or jacket on if i am having a bbq within a few days and chill it dressed by my butcher (brother) lol

ps with jacket on i was paying £1 on the bone and £2 dressed.

I think the game dealer price should be made clear as the prices can differ by quite a lot up and down the country.
Here its £2.40 a Kilo.
for what roe /red fallow muntjac .i would think it s your local game dealer rate /as roe make more than the other becouse of there export vaule and fallow red sika will make moke in august sep oct then they will at the end of the season eg roe 3.00per kg to 3.50 all year. fallow red sika 3.00 at the start of the season and finishing up on about 2.50 march time and then a little spike at the end as one or two dealer try to get a bit by them .I would just keep your game dealer on speed dial that way you wont get your pant's pulled down

Bear in mind also that, with some guides, if you damage the carcase through poor shot placement you may find a further charge is due. For example you may incur a charge if you shoot an animal through both haunches and elect not to take the carcase yourself.

Obviously this won't apply if you're buying the carcase for your own consumption.

As Mike says, the fee you're charged should be based on dealer weight - head and legs off and clean (i.e. without internal contents).

Bear in mind also that, with some guides, if you miss, there may be charges too. However with other guides there may be no charges at all. Regards JCS

Bear in mind also that, with some guides, if you miss, there may be charges too. However with other guides there may be no charges at all. Regards JCS

Very true.

So basically you may be looking at something involving none, some or all of the following:

Outing Fee
Cull/Trophy Fee
Carcase Fee
Carcase Damage Fee
Miss/Wounding Fee
Trophy Mounting Fee
Estate Rifle Fee
Witness Fee (if DSC2 Witnessed Stalk)

Caveat Emptor obviously applies here!

Any others??

:scared: Then we can brake down the cull fee to cull animal antlered animals price per inch per cm per point per gram and per cic point. etc

Very true.

So basically you may be looking at something involving none, some or all of the following:

Outing Fee
Cull/Trophy Fee
Carcase Fee
Carcase Damage Fee
Miss/Wounding Fee
Trophy Mounting Fee
Estate Rifle Fee
Witness Fee (if DSC2 Witnessed Stalk)

Caveat Emptor obviously applies here!

Any others??

Yes, of course, there's the tip for the stalker and the tip for the pony boy/girl. Regards JCS

i cant beleave what i am reading shot fees price per cm ,fees if you miss WHAT do people really pay these things ,you got to be pretty sad to be pay per gram i think i would just give up if that was the case ,just wouldn't pay for shooting like that .the most i pay is on one block i pay 1.60 per kg for anything i shoot .and i am the only permsion in there ,unless i want to take someone with me or have a cull useing seats .The op should be looking at a one off payment and current game dealer prices onper kg xleg and head on cull ainmals or something along those lines so a 50kg dressed fallow in skin at let take a av 2.80=140 to pay thats it mate wouldn't pay a penny more ,well i wouldt pay that ,but that would be the line if i had to pay good luck

i cant beleave what i am reading shot fees price per cm ,fees if you miss WHAT do people really pay these things

Yes, some do.

But then they also get to hunt conveniently located land with a good population of deer, a reasonable chance of success on every outing and the possibility to shoot a very nice beast if they so wish.

And they know the cost of everything up front.

That's the beauty of individual choice.

I find I have to agree with berg. This additional fee thing is more for those foreign/"Greenhorn" Stalkers who have never held a rifle before; and should not be for the "locals" with experience.

Yes, some have gone to making Guide Stalking a living, and the management of game, in an area, is not light on the pocket book, but some of these fees are a wee bit out there, in regards to being fair to the Stalker, like myself, who only wants to fill the larder, for the family, for the year. After that, I have no problem helping a mate with the quota.

I, also understand there those here who think what I am saying is "rubbish", and I have a lot to learn, after I get over there. I am a good student and will be very grateful to those who are willing to teach an old dog new tricks, rather than kick him to the curb when he spouts things he has no concept of. School starts in August, after I am settled in Scotland. Every country has its own methods and ways, I will learn them. :D

I find I have to agree with berg. This additional fee thing is more for those foreign/"Greenhorn" Stalkers who have never held a rifle before; and should not be for the "locals" with experience.

Yes, some have gone to making Guide Stalking a living, and the management of game, in an area, is not light on the pocket book, but some of these fees are a wee bit out there, in regards to being fair to the Stalker, like myself, who only wants to fill the larder, for the family, for the year. After that, I have no problem helping a mate with the quota.

I, also understand there those here who think what I am saying is "rubbish", and I have a lot to learn, after I get over there. I am a good student and will be very grateful to those who are willing to teach an old dog new tricks, rather than kick him to the curb when he spouts things he has no concept of. School starts in August, after I am settled in Scotland. Every country has its own methods and ways, I will learn them. :D

You may be surprised.

The person who runs the stalking where I guide has been doing so successfully for over 30 years, with the overwhelming majority of clients being repeat bookings, and many who have been clients for over 10 years. Very few could be classed as greenhorn stalkers. That said, I've been lucky enough to guide several onto their first deer, which is always a pleasure.

It is doubtless different here than in the US, but many (though not all) stalkers in the UK primarily want to hunt at their convenience - i.e. they do not want to have their own permissions and they put a high value on their time. As such they are looking for accessible stalking with a good chance of success and at a reasonable/predictable price. I am not talking here about medal-type stalking, but recreational or cull stalking, where the total cost of the outing might typically be less than £100, plus the price of the carcase. Is that unreasonable?

Even though I have access to land I also regularly buy such stalking. Sometimes it is priced all in per outing, others it is priced via a menu. The important thing is that in every case I know exactly what is expected.

Yes, some do.
But then they also get to hunt conveniently located land with a good population of deer, a reasonable chance of success on every outing and the possibility to shoot a very nice beast if they so wish.

And they know the cost of everything up front.

That's the beauty of individual choice.
The land I shoot has a over population of deer that's why I get to shoot it ,there is so many its become a problem to the land owner ,and what's convenient is its free well most of it

The land I shoot has a over population of deer that's why I get to shoot it ,there is so many its become a problem to the land owner ,and what's convenient is its free well most of it

I am also lucky enough to have some land where the farmer asks me to control the deer. For this the sum total in payment is that I butcher the deer and give the farmer half of every carcase I shoot - which seems pretty fair to me.

What I was trying to explain to the OP was things to be aware of when buying a commercial stalking outing, but we seem to have become a bit side-tracked, so best I leave it there.

Last edited:
I guess that this kind of question will generate discussion.

from my own perspective, I'm looking at commercial stalking due to a lack of UK experience and contacts meaning I wouldn't get my own permission.
maybe one day I'll have the contacts etc to sort myself out some kind of arrangement, until then it'll have to be commercial.
especially in this are of Yorkshire.

Gundoc I am not say what is write or wrong just saying make sure you ask the correct questions so you know what's what when you are out. That way you will not get a fright should you shoot a real nice buck

I guess that this kind of question will generate discussion.

from my own perspective, I'm looking at commercial stalking due to a lack of UK experience and contacts meaning I wouldn't get my own permission.
maybe one day I'll have the contacts etc to sort myself out some kind of arrangement, until then it'll have to be commercial.
especially in this are of Yorkshire.

I haven't personally stalked with him, but John Robson at Yorkshire Deer Stalking is a member here and has some rave reviews! He has also posted some excellent videos.

Back