Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady 6.5 x 55 factory ammo

Hornady 6.5 x 55 factory ammo

I am coming to the end of my stock of Hornady 6.5 x 55 140gr SP.
    I am getting feedback in Ireland that it is simply no longer available. Sometimes though it's hard to differentiate between not available for economic reasons and scarce as hens teeth. Does anybody out there have a handle on the true situation. The Hornady website does not mention it but does refer to 140 gr SST. Is this the same as Ballistic tip. I've been an SP user all my stalking life - basically RWS in my previous 243, and now Hornady SP in the 6.5 x 55. I am comfortable with the Hornady in my M03 and would like to stick with it . I admit that owing to my stalking partner not recovering animals when using ballistic tips I have a concern about using them myself . I dont shoot enough deer to be in a position to compare and contrast assorted ammo.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ion

I wouldn't sweat it too much , any 6.5x55 ammo that's deer legal either sp or bt will kill deer with a well placed shot , try and stick to 140g if that's what your rifle likes and your also unlikely to get a varmint type round in 140g as there usually 95-100g in 6.5mm.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

I went from 140gr Federal Fusion SP to 140gr SST with no noticeable difference. I only changed as I started HPS-TR reloading for me, and the SPs that they were supplying (Speer 140gr) were utter sh*te in my Sako!

There might be a bit more meat damage from the SSTs, but as everything is for personal consumption, it's not too much of a worry
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Rws sako, lapua and Norma should be available even if the US offerings are off the menu for a while. Should be plenty of choice in 6.5x55

Try Norma 156gr ammo,Oryx or Vulkan. Impressive terminal performance.

I put about 5 rounds at home and another 20 rounds of Federal Fusion through the rifle at the BDS NI range day today. 5 1cm clicks up and 1 click right from Hornady zero. I got a lovely tight group on my second go at zeroing, but went downhill after that!

I've a funny feeling that the rifle , MO3, came with a test target which had used Norma Oryx. Sika98k can you give me steer on where its available in Ireland.

RWS and Lapua in my experience are very hard to come by over here. The explanation is always along the lines that the importers have to order in batches which dont allow for small orders of 'unpopular' loads. It would appear that they define what is popular!

Thanks for the suggestions. Ion

I have found my 6.5x55 likes the Winchester Super X 140gr soft points and will shoot sub moa, they may be worth you trying out.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it too much , any 6.5x55 ammo that's deer legal either sp or bt will kill deer with a well placed shot , try and stick to 140g if that's what your rifle likes and your also unlikely to get a varmint type round in 140g as there usually 95-100g in 6.5mm.
    I've shot fox with 6.5 x 55. I love the calibre but the BT rounds on a fox had no exit wound whatsoever. These were 140gr Norma BTs. They drop foxes no problem but I would never take them out for deer unless I was going for head/neck shots. I most certainly wouldn't class myself as an experience stalker or have a vast knowledge in different bullet types, but, thats what I've seen. Around me all factory 6.5x55 always seems to be BT. Brock and Norris for me. Stick with the SPs if I can. I know theres plenty of threads regarding BT rounds for deer.
    ATB
    J

I use Sako 156g in my M03 swede and it loves them. It is mainly woodland stalking and some young plantation with shots rarely over 150m. Very little carcass damage with them even on small muntjac.

Many of my clients are now using fed fusion in 6.5 and it kills deer very well with small exits.
    I personally use PPu in 139 or 156 and my rifle has shot 100's of roe with no niggles.
    I did really like remington core lokt when i used them.