Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Model Sako 85 Synthetic Black - Screw Cut???

New Model Sako 85 Synthetic Black - Screw Cut???

HiAfter many years of faithful service, I am getting rid of my 308 Tikka T3 Varmint (itís too heavy!). To replace it, I have ordered a 308 Sako 85. It is a new 2014 model called a Sako 85 Synthetic Black (ie the barrel and other metal details are in finished black). Itís really hard to get good info on this rifle from the distributor (as its new), so if anyone has actually received one, can you tell me if it was screw cut for a moderator?Thanks

Wow! I am an '85 fan anyway, but that looks like a stunning rifle. Whilst I haven't seen one, I hope you don't mind me contributing the following:

1) I doubt it is threaded because Sako steadfastly refused to thread the Finnlight from the factory which, it seems, has the same barrel profile.
    2) The spec on the website only offers one set of information for barrel length. On the models which are definitely threaded, there is a '**' next to a barrel length option which indicates a muzzle thread. For instance, the Varmint Laminated Stainless and Hunter Laminated Stainless (which I have) both show this option.

regards

Ian

I have a black 308 on order and have been told that it isn't screw cut. Delivery due Sept.

mmm, looks like it isnt going to be screw cut :-(

I will just have to get it cut by an aftermarket company. Hopefully the black touch up on the thread area wont spoil the look of the rifle too much, although the moderator will of course be on most of the time. Anyway, looking forward to using this lighter rifle....

Me and my Tikka were out for a look tonight at dusk, but only does kicking about....

Quality gunsmith should be able to make you a virtually invisible thread cover at the same time .

How many grams will the new gun save then?

The Sako 85 black is 2.8Kg, while the Tikka T3 Varmint is 3.4Kg or 3.6Kg depending on barrel length. So, that's at least 600 grams.

regards

Ian

And if it is going to be threaded any benefit from shortening it while there ?

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitter View Post
    The Sako 85 black is 2.8Kg, while the Tikka T3 Varmint is 3.4Kg or 3.6Kg depending on barrel length. So, that's at least 600 grams.

regards

Ian

Is this the one with the new picatinny mounts bolted on rather than the normal sako ?

The fluting goes nearly all the way along the 22.5 inch barrel, so I don't think shortening is an option.

http://www.sako.fi/sako85models.php?synth_black

The spec doesn't mention a departure from the usual tapered Sako arrangement.