Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69

Thread: Tiny duck pond: worth bothering?

  1. #1

    Tiny duck pond: worth bothering?

    I have a shallow, oval shaped miniature pond, 25ftx50ft approx, in a mixed wood that is very overgrown with a fallen willow tree in it and tall/medium height oak and willow trees and shrubs around the edges. I sometimes see Teal/Mallard/Moorhen on it in winter but never shoot there because of the dense cover. There is also a decent stream nearby. I just wondered if it would be worth all the work involved in clearing the trees and tidying up, building a hide etc....I've not done much with ponds before so I'm not really sure what the requirements are for ducks to want to hang around. I wouldn't be bothered about trying to shoot large numbers each year, more interested in attracting a small number (especially Teal) to add to the bag on rough shooting days. What do you think? and do you feed Teal like you would with Mallard? any advice on small ponds welcome. Cheers chaps

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    I have a shallow, oval shaped miniature pond, 25ftx50ft approx, in a mixed wood that is very overgrown with a fallen willow tree in it and tall/medium height oak and willow trees and shrubs around the edges. I sometimes see Teal/Mallard/Moorhen on it in winter but never shoot there because of the dense cover. There is also a decent stream nearby. I just wondered if it would be worth all the work involved in clearing the trees and tidying up, building a hide etc....I've not done much with ponds before so I'm not really sure what the requirements are for ducks to want to hang around. I wouldn't be bothered about trying to shoot large numbers each year, more interested in attracting a small number (especially Teal) to add to the bag on rough shooting days. What do you think? and do you feed Teal like you would with Mallard? any advice on small ponds welcome. Cheers chaps

    I would say it sounds like ideal teal territory! open it up enough to shoot and be visible from the air and feed it a bit. teal, at least in my world, are shot on circling not on approach to land, so no issues with clearing a 'landing patch', ie. they can circle then dump vertically down onto the pond

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I would say it sounds like ideal teal territory! open it up enough to shoot and be visible from the air and feed it a bit. teal, at least in my world, are shot on circling not on approach to land, so no issues with clearing a 'landing patch', ie. they can circle then dump vertically down onto the pond
    That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear!
    What is the number one Teal food then?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    I have a shallow, oval shaped miniature pond, 25ftx50ft approx, in a mixed wood that is very overgrown with a fallen willow tree in it and tall/medium height oak and willow trees and shrubs around the edges. I sometimes see Teal/Mallard/Moorhen on it in winter but never shoot there because of the dense cover. There is also a decent stream nearby. I just wondered if it would be worth all the work involved in clearing the trees and tidying up, building a hide etc....I've not done much with ponds before so I'm not really sure what the requirements are for ducks to want to hang around. I wouldn't be bothered about trying to shoot large numbers each year, more interested in attracting a small number (especially Teal) to add to the bag on rough shooting days. What do you think? and do you feed Teal like you would with Mallard? any advice on small ponds welcome. Cheers chaps
    One of my best duck shooting ponds is little bigger than yours ,regular feeding of barley and rape seed which teal love will ensure you can have a few good flights each season just don't overshoot it.

  5. #5
    Sounds like a cracking little pond to me.
    Years ago we fed a small pond with oil seed rape, the water went purple and stank to high heaven. But the amount of teal it pulled in was unbelievable.
    Since then we haven't bothered so much, so not sure if it was a bit of luck or they really do love it.

  6. #6
    As above ,we tend to feed every day 1/3rd of a bucket rape seed 1bucket barley ,we feed for at least 2 weeks and count the numbers coming in before committing to a shoot early season we see teal and mallard before our wigeon arrive mid November , we ran out of rape seed a few years ago and the teal numbers plummeted.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    As above ,we tend to feed every day 1/3rd of a bucket rape seed 1bucket barley ,we feed for at least 2 weeks and count the numbers coming in before committing to a shoot early season we see teal and mallard before our wigeon arrive mid November , we ran out of rape seed a few years ago and the teal numbers plummeted.
    Do you feed a full 1 and a 1/3 buckets every day? and does it work out to be quite expensive?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    Do you feed a full 1 and a 1/3 buckets every day? and does it work out to be quite expensive?
    Yes we do as long as the previous night's food has all been taken and the is plenty of evidence of duck usage i.e feathers droppings etc, we get the feed really cheap as it comes from friendly farmers who we shoot foxes and rabbits for.

  9. #9
    Will possibly depend on where u are, how near coast or major flightlines rivers etc, but if u have them already i would say might be worth the work.
    I never think size of pond matters seen some far smaller than that pull in large numbers of duck if they like it.

    Just feed the ammount the duck are eating, i j ust feed once a week or even once a fortnight and just put enpugh bags in so some left next time, if none feed more if a lot left feed less.

    Must admit i;m going to try and do the oppisate this year and feed 1 of our ponds in deeper water to try and discourage the teal, seem to have pushed the mallard off and fly a strange flightline so u can never see/get a shot at them.
    Must admit never really known teal to circle much on any pond i have shot, tend more just to dive straight in all u see is a flash and if ur not quick a splash

  10. #10
    How many ducks would you expect to see together on such a small pond? I only usually see 4 or 5 to a time.
    I am sure that if the harvest is any good I'll get the Barley cheap enough but might have to scratch around a bit for the cheap rape seed.
    Do you dump the feed into the water/on the bank/a bit of both? scatter it about?

Similar Threads

  1. Duck pond
    By barrym3 in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 30-12-2013, 12:41
  2. My duck flight pond is almost dry!!!
    By Cyres in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 19:40
  3. Feeding duck pond
    By jazmin in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 21:53
  4. Duck pond from start to finish
    By Double four in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-07-2013, 14:41
  5. Wanted Duck pond
    By shotguntom in forum Other Sporting Opportunties
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-02-2013, 18:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •