Thread: More than one .308

More than one .308

Morning all some advice please ! . I am a professional stalker for an estate and have an estate rifle in .308 .i also have a 308 which is my own personal weapon . What I want to do is receive another .308 from my old stalking mentor who has recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer so he wants to sort his affairs out etc ,this rifle has sentimental reasons to me as I shot my first deer with it over 25 years ago ,it is also a very lightweight rifle which would be good for stalking on the hill in Scotland so it is different from my personal weapon at the moment .i have spoken to my firearms department and they have said normally it would be a no but they would look into it and put my application In writing , so can anybody give me better reasons or advice in this please ? Many thanks Tom

I'd probably stress the fact that you have a need for a hill stalking light rifle as well as your lowland stalking heavier rifle! (Although it's not really need but 'good reason' that you have to prove).

Your good reason could be 1 for lightweight long range hill stalking 1 for close up woodland stalking.I have 2 x 243s and 3.22s and I have had 2 x 308s at the same time in the past

Your work rifle is your work rifle so although it is on your certificate you can challenge any comment about you having two calibers already. Work is work. For your own recreational use you only have one that you use? Sentimental reasons are not good enough for the justification you need and I wouldn't even bother making mention of it as it won't get you anywhere. The weight and handling difference are more than enough combined with how this benefits you and the fact you now need this rifle in the cabinet for those reasons. Be polite but firm. I wouldn't try thinking up any additional reasons. You might need them for a 3rd .308 !!!

PM me if you want. I've dealt with a number of different forces having moved around so I know the system fairly well.

Cheers guys , they haven't got a problem with me having 2 x.308 it's the third I am having to prove good reason , but the as you correctly said my work rifle is just that so I will go for the point about it being a light weight one for hill stalking etc ,I will keep you posted any more advice welcomed ! Thanks

Cheers guys , they haven't got a problem with me having 2 x.308 it's the third I am having to prove good reason , but as you correctly said my work rifle is just that so I will go for the point about it being a light weight one for hill stalking etc ,I will keep you posted any more advice welcomed ! Thanks

No logical reason why you shouldn't have more than one rifle of the same calibre. I know a guy who has at least seven .308w rifles and three of them he can stalk with if he wants. I can also recall a friend of mine who challenged the chief constable when he refused to allow him to have two .22 pistols many years ago. My friend represented himself in court and won his case after asking if a golfer is only restricted to only one club.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    i have spoken to my firearms department and they have said normally it would be a no but they would look into it
    Is this D&C? If so I don't know where they get that from. For many years I had 5 x .308 on my ticket, (might have even been 6 at one point IIRC) - all for sporting use - just comes down to providing 'good reason' in order to justify it. Shouldn't be a problem provided you make a case for it, and as others have said quoting suitability for different types of stalking in a well thought out letter will swing it. Don't forget to add a moderator in on your application for a variation, even if you don't intend to use one with this rifle it will create an additional slot on your FAC that you can exchange F.O.C. for another rifle in the future should you so wish.