Thread: .308 federal powershock

.308 federal powershock

Hoping for some information from any users of federal powershock in .308 (150grn). I have a couple of queries.

My rifle loves these bullets and shoots them very accurately (as long as I do my bit).

does anyone have experience of using These bullets on big rutting stags as I have an opportunity to go for one in the autumn and I'm wondering if these are suitable?

Also, so, I have been using these bullets in my rifle recently for all my deer stalking and as a consequence of this I've shot a fe Munties with them. The muntjac (all well shot in the lungs) have all run much further than those I have shot with my .243 (up to 40-50 yards, which can be a bugger to find them in thick undergrowth). Is this normal on muntjac with this bullet?

I shot two big fallow bucks some time ago and found both bullets under the skin on the other side of the animal. Both went down on the spot with plenty of internal organ damage. Both bullets mushroomed almost perfectly. Shot taken at about 100m.

Thanks for that bill, interesting that they didn't exit.
    i shot a heavy bodied fallow buck last year with my .243 (hornady sst) and the deer ran about 5 yards before expiring. The bullet didn't exit but I thought that it was as I'd used a .243 instead of .308.

Hi I have used the power shok in both 243 and 308 for fallow.
    I have found them consistent accurate in all conditions and available in most shops in the area. They seem to do the job some drop some run but all end up on the plate.

Good value I would not worry about a big red with a 308 power shok 150 grain.

Mike, 150grn powershok is all I ever use on the biggest of the reds and I never have any issues, not found munties to run either, so might just be luck of the drawer, but certainly on the larger animals they perform faultlessly as long as you do your bit.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Mike, 150grn powershok is all I ever use on the biggest of the reds and I never have any issues, not found munties to run either, so might just be luck of the drawer, but certainly on the larger animals they perform faultlessly as long as you do your bit.
    Good to know, thanks!

the Munties were about 40-50 yards when shot, wondered if the round didn't expend properly (thought maybe too fast at that range on a small bodied animal, but as you say maybe just down to luck).

Have used them without any problems on sika stags in the past, most fell near where they were shot although I recall a young spiker making a good distance before he dropped. I suppose if you put the shot in the right place on an unsuspecting animal you should have no probs,. I certainly like them.