Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticks on dogs.

Ticks on dogs.

Hi Gents.

After a stalk this morning myself, and more importantly my dog were lifting with ticks. They have been pretty bad this year but I picked several off him crawling in his fur. Then started counting. Then lost count around about 160. (So I reckon he picked up more than 200 on a 3 and a half hour stalk.) None were dug in so I am assuming he picked them up during the stalk.

He he also had around 30 or 40 dug in which I extracted. The last time I checked him was Sunday night.

Its not unusual to pick around 20 - 30 off him after a couple of days stalking but this morning was exceptional.

I can deal with ticks on myself but it really galls me to see the blood sucking little ****s covering my dog like that. I treat him every 4 weeks with frontline so when I pull ticks off him that are dug in the majority are dead, just the recently attached ones need finishing off.

So my question is, is there a spray or anything available that I can use as well as the frontline to apply after a stalk like this mornings when he is covered in them that will kill them in his fur? Obviously if I am picking that many off I am wondering how many I have left behind.

At present my only options are to take him and deal with the ticks later or not stalk with him during the summer which I really want to avoid.

Many thanks

Scalibor collar work well. 6 month protection against ticks and repels them rather than just killing them as the Frontline does

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Apache just had a look at those as my hound needs something more than my spot ons with the amount on my ground, seems the reviews show horrible side effects can you comment, I will buy if it isn't going to harm Indy,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Never seen side effects. Have used them on my own dog.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Used to use a thing called Duramitex years ago, it was for treating feather mite on racing pigeons and cage birds. When you applied it you dog would smell horrible for a few days. It was as good as frontline, but don't know if you can still get it. Wonder if tea tree oil would keep them at bay between your flea treatment? ( supposed to work against head lice in kids!

Thanks Apache. Can I use the scalibor collar as well as frontline or is it one or the other?

I might get two for myself - one for each ankle.

Beretta.

Many thanks.

I have tried so many different homeopathic style tick repellents, I am of the opinion that they just don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    Thanks Apache. Can I use the scalibor collar as well as frontline or is it one or the other?

I might get two for myself - one for each ankle.
    Should be ok to use with frontline the collar does not kill ticks just repels them
    by the chemical going into the sebaceous gland and then coating the dogs coat
    With the repellant, I used one successfully last year until the dog scratched it off
    and ate the rubber type collar was off its legs for 36 hours before it came right
    have not used one since.

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    Hi Gents.

After a stalk this morning myself, and more importantly my dog were lifting with ticks. They have been pretty bad this year but I picked several off him crawling in his fur. Then started counting. Then lost count around about 160. (So I reckon he picked up more than 200 on a 3 and a half hour stalk.) None were dug in so I am assuming he picked them up during the stalk.

He he also had around 30 or 40 dug in which I extracted. The last time I checked him was Sunday night.

Its not unusual to pick around 20 - 30 off him after a couple of days stalking but this morning was exceptional.

I can deal with ticks on myself but it really galls me to see the blood sucking little ****s covering my dog like that. I treat him every 4 weeks with frontline so when I pull ticks off him that are dug in the majority are dead, just the recently attached ones need finishing off.

So my question is, is there a spray or anything available that I can use as well as the frontline to apply after a stalk like this mornings when he is covered in them that will kill them in his fur? Obviously if I am picking that many off I am wondering how many I have left behind.

At present my only options are to take him and deal with the ticks later or not stalk with him during the summer which I really want to avoid.

Many thanks
    we got something from the vets call advantix they said its new ,it repells them to date she has not had one on her touch wood .but you cant use it around cats

Quote Originally Posted by berg View Post
    we got something from the vets call advantix they said its new ,it repells them to date she has not had one on her touch wood .but you cant use it around cats
    Interesting.

I reckon my dogs are more unhealthy for cats than advantix. I'll look it up.