Thread: Ruger american

Ruger american

Anybody got a Ruger American? Thinking of getting one in 270w. If so, how do you like it? I have yet to hear any bad things, even though its not so expensive.

Good friend of mine has the .243 and loves it.He prefers the safety catch arrangement to any rifle he has owned so far(last one was a Tikka).He's had a lot of deer and an odd charlie with it over the last few months

Was looking at these as to the x bolt . Check the reviews on you tube out apparently ruger didnt put a cheeck piece on the end stock but if you ask them they will give you a cheeck bag to compesate it....scott

I don't own one myself but a few have started to show up at my gun club . The owners seemed pleased with them and they were reasonably accurate . Both of the rifles were in 30-06 and were shooting factory ammo . If I remember correctly , they were getting about 1.5 inch , three shot groups ( 100 yards ) with factory ammo . Both shooters were young and not that experienced so I wouldn't suggest that the rifles wouldn't do better with an experienced shooter and reloads . Sorry, not the most definitive report , but they seem to be a decent rifle for the price . To go off on a tangent , the Weatherby Vanguard S2 is roughly in the same price category and is IMHO a better rifle for the money . Hope this helps .

AB

Is this of interest?

Bargain-Priced Hunting Rifles Reviewed In American Rifleman Daily Bulletin

The Ruger American Rifle now comes in a Predator variant, so if you like the RAR, maybe it would be worth checking with Viking Arms to see if/when that will be an option too.

The Ruger American Rifle Predator Bolt-Action Rifle Models
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 06-06-2014 at 08:32. Reason: Added info
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Wow that predator is cool. Could be a good option if the prices stays like the others.

Ive also looked at Weatherby Vanguard S2 But by the looks I now like the Ruger predator the most.

Ruger American is a radical departure from previous variants, notably its action is forged and push fed, but don't overlook the Vanguard, Savage or Tika if accuracy is your concern.....

I went out of my way to look at some Ruger Americans last night. Talk about "agricultural"! These Rugers are a whopping $299 here which is less than the cost of comparable Savage models. I have an innate distrust of Ruger rifles. There is no free lunch in this industry and especially with Ruger. For that money, I'd get a Savage. At least you'd know it shoots.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I went out of my way to look at some Ruger Americans last night. Talk about "agricultural"! These Rugers are a whopping $299 here which is less than the cost of comparable Savage models. I have an innate distrust of Ruger rifles. There is no free lunch in this industry and especially with Ruger. For that money, I'd get a Savage. At least you'd know it shoots.~Muir
    I've never had a Savage that didn't shoot well , and I've had quite a few that shot extremely well . I may be wrong , I often am lol , but I think Savage makes a rifle along the same lines as the Ruger Predator . I don't know why , perhaps their looks , but Savages don't seem to be very popular in the UK . They are an under estimated rifle on both sides of the pond .

AB

I friend bought a Savage Edge for his son, in 7mm-08. It shoots really well with factory ammuntion.

Other friends have bought the Marlin XL7 SS in .270 and XS7 .308 as rough weather guns, and been very pleased.