permission letter ni

cowcheif

being new to this game i need a little advice. i live in ni and have my dsc1 and suitable rifle which i use for targets at the mo, have a farmer friend in scotland who has given me permission to take a few deer when i be over. i have to get my fac amended to allow deer, so need a letter of permission from my mate. im worst than useless at letters and am wondering what i need to include to please the powers that be. all (good) advice welcome :D

No expert, i would wait for other replies on here...

But i would expect just a letter with the chaps address and contact details signed with him basically saying that you have permission to shoot deer on his land...

Alex

Cowchief, there is a standard "permission form" that the PSNI issue with application / renewal forms which your landowner should fill in. You might download one from the PSNI website or your RFD should have these in stock.

The bad news is that I am not sure the PSNI will give you the deer variation on your ticket based on permission in Scotland. Certainly it used to be the case that you had to have deer ground in NI to get a deer legal rifle in NI. Not sure if this has changed or not.

My understanding of the current situation is in keeping with that posted above by Brian. If you get your mate to do the paperwork for you then the PSNI will condition your FAC for transport ourside of NI for legal quary, in short. This does not mean you can use the rifle inside NI for deer.

You should also note, and I didn't know this for some time and it isn't really made clear anywhere, that you need this condition for transport on your FAC if you are going to take the rifle on the plane/ferry. Some people may be travelling without this in view of how many people I talked to on the subject before someone mentioned it and it is possible that the folks in the ports don't know to check for it but I wouldn't take the risk.

To get the rifle conditioned for deer in NI you will need a letter giving you access to deer here.

thanks for the reply's, don't see me being able to get permission here at home , just not enough deer about local to me, and anywhere there are a few is being poached rotten :confused: not too bothered about getting deer on my ticket for here as it seems like a no-one really knows who owns sporting rights in many places, bit of a minefield and not worth the hassle

If your stuck mate i could shoot them over here for you, if there close to my location ;) best o luck mate hope you get sorted out ok ;) as you say mate it is a minefield :!:

cowcheif said:
thanks for the reply's, don't see me being able to get permission here at home , just not enough deer about local to me, and anywhere there are a few is being poached rotten :confused: not too bothered about getting deer on my ticket for here as it seems like a no-one really knows who owns sporting rights in many places, bit of a minefield and not worth the hassle

I suspect only the people doing the poaching are unaware of who owns the sporting rights though you are right that finding who to talk to can be tricky and getting access is usually a dead mans shoes job. Poaching is a serious problem here and some with a .22LR think they own all the deer in Ireland and are keen to blaze away at eyes in the lamp until something falls over. That is why there are so few deer in some areas where you would expect them to thrive. In the past Brian, who posted above and has a lot more experience than I do, said that for every 1 they kill they injure 3 more and my limited experience would support this. This doesn't do legit deer stalkers any favours as landowners expect us to behave the same as the poachers.

If you have the time and can afford to travel back and forth to Scotland then it is probably the best way to do it. I looked into a syndicate place in Scotland and seriously considered that option but in the end just didn't have the time to be travelling back and forth on a regular basis, never mind the money to pay £250 everytime the car when on the ferry.

Back