Thread: Highseat Buck

Highseat Buck

Well since I've been feeling like an invalid for the past few days with severe back pain etc I thought I'd go up and have a wee session in the high seat. I've had the seat up since last year when Wayne (Mereside) kindly drove all the way up to Aberdeenshire with it for me! It's on a small patch of rough ground close to home around 5min in the car so nice and easy to get to. I took my time after parking at the bottom of the track to have a good scan of the fields and hedgerows with the bino's but nowt was to be seen. I slowly stalked up the edge of the rough ground to the seat (probably should have said limped up the edge but I got there anyway) it was a fantastic night sitting up the Highseat hardly a breath of wind, I settled in and was sat for maybe 45min when I saw movement way down to the left of me, quick scan with the bino's confirmed a bonnie enough buck. Question was, was he going to come up my way? He seemed to be heading into the thicker ground rather than up towards me but as luck would have it he changed course and was now bounding up my way. I watched him come in from around 250 yards and I had to stop him from running straight across in front of the seat with a bark, he paused bang in front of me (no pun intended) broad side maybe 25 yards out. I pulled the trigger and thought for a second or two I had completely missed as there was absolutely no reaction to the shot at all, he ran maybe 10 yards across the seat and stopped with his front right leg slightly raised, it was then I saw the blood pouring out of the exit wound on the other side of him. I managed to breath again, he stood like this for what seemed like an age but was probably only a few seconds and he keeled over! On inspection the lung seemed to have plugged the exit wound, probably how he didn't bleed out quicker! Before I got a photo of the exit wound the phone ran out of charge! All in all a nice night to be out.
    Attachment 43026 Attachment 43027 Attachment 43028

ATB

Bryan
    Last edited by jackfish; 05-06-2014 at 22:52.

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

well done, I bet moving him was a struggle

I think the adrenalin had kicked in as soon as I seen him struggling this morning with all that shananagins last night though! Hey Ho the happy pills will kick in shortly!

ATB

Bryan

Alba gu brąth

very nice....... them high seats are nice huh???? Much safer too when you never know where to expect a walker or bicyclist......

Yes Daven they are safer for sure, But I know my ground very well so have no issues there. I left another buck be last time out as not a safe shot going towards a main road. If in doubt leave it be there's always another day!

ATB

Bryan

Alba gu brąth

Top darts fella,looks a decent sized beast.

17kg larder weight!

ATB

Bryan

Alba gu brąth