Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: views on the vortex viper pst 6-24x50

views on the vortex viper pst 6-24x50

Im looking for a scope for my RPA .308, will be used mainly for stalking but want the high mag for days at the range.
    Would love a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 or Sightron 6-24x50
    I have seen the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 for sale for a good bit cheaper than these two and wondered if anybody either owns one or has any experience with the viper?

Here is the scope in question Vortex Riflescope Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP** with EBR-1 MRAD Illuminated Reticle

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

I have one and think it's an excellent scope and great value for money.

The NF trumps it on ruggedness and optical quality, as you'd expect, but you may find it more surprising that I'd rather have the Vortex than the Sightron.

A big plus for me is the FFP fully-metric configuration, a combination you just can't beat for quick corrections.

Re. image quality, in most conditions there's nothing to complain about, but it's not the greatest low-light scope, so expect to dial the magnification well back from maximum as the sun sets.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

My son has a Vortex Viper slightly less mag than your intended and its a superb scope for the money, very hard to fault and backed up by a cast iron warranty.

At the shooting show I looked through both the Vortex and Sightron and thought the Vortex was better with my eyes. The Sightron looks mighty similar to the original Hako and is made in Japan. I think the Vortex uses Jap glass but assembled elleswhere but all to the same standards eg S/B German/Hungarian.

Difficult choice and down to your preference.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    I have one and think it's an excellent scope and great value for money.

The NF trumps it on ruggedness and optical quality, as you'd expect, but you may find it more surprising that I'd rather have the Vortex than the Sightron.

A big plus for me is the FFP fully-metric configuration, a combination you just can't beat for quick corrections.

Re. image quality, in most conditions there's nothing to complain about, but it's not the greatest low-light scope, so expect to dial the magnification well back from maximum as the sun sets.
    I too am a fan of the milrad turrets and matching reticle. I am really starting to think this is the scope for me. If i cant afford Nightforce and the Viper is as good as the reviews i have read then it could be ideal. I dont know of any other scopes in the £600 to £700 range that can offer what the Vortex does. Ill just have to use it when the sun is shining!

I have just got a Sightron S-tac not quite your mag but the s111 is in your department and budget. The glass is easily as good as nightforce if not better. reviews tend to concur with my opinion.
    Check them out :
    http://www.aimfieldsports.com/siii-s...copes-25-c.asp

Spooky!!
    ive just ordered one today, same spec in mrad for my .22-250.
    i also have a Sightron SIII, a Swaro Z6i 2nd gen and a Zeiss Victory.
    whilst I expect the European glass to be streets ahead it will be interesting to compare with the Sightron!
    But at a fraction of the price of a big Zeiss and 2/3rds of the price of a Sightron I'm very keen to see how it matches up!
    i'll report back......

you will be suprised at just how good the sightron is, I have now got another i was that impressed with the first one, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Ive got a vortex viper 6-24x50 pst, think its a great scope bar its low light performance which I am very disappointed with, its not a patch on my 20 mag mk4 leupold which matches my swaro el binos for low light,bloke at riflecraft reckoned the viper was better, how wrong he was.

I took both rifles out tonite to compare vortex and mk4 leupy, was actually closer than I thought, vortex was better than i thought,mk4 could stay on higher magnification longer, on 10 mag leupy is better but not miles better than I initially thought so I will take back some of what I said

I have 2 vortex scopes, can not fault them. Very good optics for the money,
    Bryn