Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30.06 or 308?

30.06 or 308?

Hi all,
    I have to make a decision on a new rifle calibre.
    It will be a double rifle for use predominantly for wild boar.
    The rifle I'm looking at is chambered for both 30.06 and .308, I have no great knowledge of either, so any feedback would be welcome.
    Buckup.

SD Regular
    Go for 308 as in theory you could if the rifle were so set up use 307 Winchester in it and if the rifle were to have the chamber and extractor modified for 307 Winchester would be much better.

And also legal FWIW in France in theory although the law there actually bans any arm "capable of firing" military ammunition. But usually even though a 307 will the French are happy to allow such chambered arms.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares
    Go for 308 as in theory you could if the rifle were so set up use 307 Winchester in it and if the rifle were to have the chamber and extractor modified for 307 Winchester would be much better.

And also legal FWIW in France in theory although the law there actually bans any arm "capable of firing" military ammunition. But usually even though a 307 will the French are happy to allow such chambered arms.
    Sorry Enfield,
    not interested in messing about with it, just want shoot it. What I need is a rough guide or comparison of the two quoted calibers to help me choose one over the other.
    Thanks for your reply non the less.
    Buckup.

Hmmm that'd a difficult one

Not sure what rifle your looking at but a few come to mind however one that would avoid any such hassles would be a good idea. I gather that the rifle your looking at is only offered in those chamberings?

I ask because I was browsing a while ago and the subject of doublke rifles came up and they showed me a new Italian O/U in it's own padded carry case with Apel mounts I seem to recall in 8x57JRS. The shop was:-

F. A. Anderson of East Grinstead Sussex 01342 325604

It used to be my local gushop before moving and it's amazing what they have tucked away . If it had been a side by side I would have gone for it. Sorry I cannot recall the make off hand but if I got it right the price was around 1200.

SD Regular
    Sorry Enfield, not interested in messing about with it, just want shoot it.

In that case I would choose the 30-06 without any hesitation. It is the better choice for wild boar. I would also assume that any double for 30-06 will be regulated for the 180 grain bullet. The 30-06 is a better choice with THAT weight than any 308.

With the 30-06 you can fire bullet weights from 110gn to 220gn and is happiest with bullets around 180gn.

The .308 can fire 110gn to 190gn, but is much happier around the 150-160gn mark.

Given that you say you are after mainly boar, I would go for the 30-06.

It also is an excellent plains game calibre.
    Atb, ft

Easy decision - 30-06 shooting 180gn-200gn

Regards

Mark

buckup.
    Double rifles are fussy things and are usually regulated to shoot one specific cartridge and bullet weight for both barrels to put the shots together say at 100 metres.
    They are not friendly things like bolt-actions which with a little twiddling of the sights can accommodate virtually any bullet weight.
    .30-06 would be my personal choice of calibre.

My first stalking rifle in 1961 was a Merkel actioned O/U 7X65R regulated for the 11.2 gramme [173gr] Teilmantel RWS bullet . Two shots using both barrels placed the shots close together at 100 metres . I shot 6 species of Deer and 1 Chamois with it using that cartridge .
    At longer ranges bullet deviation took place therefore for those shots I used it as a single barrel rifle.
    When I re-loaded for it I used a Kynoch 172-174gr bullet in the bottom barrel and a 130gr Speer in the top. Those Speers printed 3 inches higher at 100yds which was ideal for my mountain hunting.

An O/U is preferable to a side-by-side as vertical stringing of the shots is more preferable than lateral.

HWH.
    Picture of self with said rifle and a Lakeland hill Stag in 1961.

Thank you all for your help, 30.06 it will be then.
    To add a little info, I'm looking at a very cheap O/U Baikal double rifle. Having just put in for a new ticket and got the nod from my FEO I now find that the rifle isn't made in 7x64 (my preferred round). I guess as soon as my new ticket comes through I'll be paying for the variation for the 30.06
    Thanks for your input Stag. I shall only be using the rifle for sub 100yd shots, so hopefully I'll be able to get it to group satisfactorily at the 75yd mark. I'll keep my lovely Sauer stutzen in 7x64 for the longer more precise shots.
    ATB to all who replied,
    Buckup.

Ahhhh Lewis Potter of Potter & Walker did a test on the Baikal O/U in 30-06 I believe, sorry I don't have their number but it might be worth giving him a ring if only for the first hand low down

He seemed to think it was a reasonable rifle when I was talking to him on the phone about some work.