Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think about this?

What do you think about this?

A new Vet set up in the area -so I went to look at the practice.
    The Vets wife asked if I would use my dog as stud on her bitch and invited me to their house.
    When I went into their garden, I noticed their dog had a slight limp but thought nothing of it.
    By the time we left, My dog had a major limp and the vet had a quick look but couldn't see anything.
    At that point he said he had just cut his hawthorn hedge and wondered if the dog had trod on a thorn.
    Within in a few days a large swelling came up on my dogs foot and I took him to this Vet.
    To cut a long story short, the vet opened him up twice, and found nothing.
    The dog has been on antibiotics and anti inflamatories ever since.
    This has been over 2 months and the infection remained.
    He then tried some Laser treatment which had no effect.
    The Vet wanted to operate for a 3rd time but I said no and took him elsewhere.
    The New Vet suggested an MRI scan, found a thorn, and removed it.
    The Hawthorn he removed was 1.7CM (3/4/inch) long.
    As the dog isn't insured I spent 1500 with the first Vet. (And 1900 with second vet which I am not worried about)

My question is:- Do you think I can get any money back from the first vet? (Thorn was from his garden that he invited me to)
    Is there an official body I can approach?
    What would you do?

So you want to sue the vet for having a thorn in his garden.........?
    I thought you were going down the route of being a dissatisfied customer due to unsuccessful operations, but seriously, how do you know for certain the thorn came from his garden, the dog could have had it before he got there but wasn't showing signs..... It's hardly negligent on their part to have been doing some gardening after all.......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

if only we could go back to the good old days when there wasn't a no win no fee solicitor hiding round every corner.
    Last edited by artschool; 07-06-2014 at 14:35.

I thought i was reading a joke at first !!

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    +1 so did I, next there will be DNA on the thorn

Perhaps I came over wrong.
    To me it seams highly coincidental that the dog wasn't limping until going into a garden that had just had the hawthorn hedge cut.
    The fact that the vet told me he could have picked it up there seems logical?
    My concern is that he had operated twice and did not find a huge thorn in a small area and wanted to cut him open for a third time without mentioning having an MRI scan - therefore he could have missed it again.
    I am not a vet but from what I have been told, a third op would be very risky (due to scar tissue and infection) and the dog could end up with a permanent limp.
    I am not a whinger and asked a few simple questions in hope that somebody could advise.
    So - let's say I am a dissatisfied customer due to unsuccessful operations- Is there an official body I can approach?

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    With an answer like that I'm surprised you can read!

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    +1 so did I, next there will be DNA on the thorn
    I take it you're not a vet?

HAve you got the serial number of the thorn? or the registration plate on the hedge, then you can sue.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    HAve you got the serial number of the thorn? or the registration plate on the hedge, then you can sue.
    Ha Ha - Keep them coming boys - Just looking for a sensible answer.
    I know there are Real Dog people on here that may be able to advise.
    The rest are welcome to keep the silly remarks coming.