can anyone help please

tk fox

remington 700 222 bolt. firing pin appears to be broken is it a big job to strip down and fit new pin thank you terry update first i would like to thank the members that replied. i stripped the bolt down firing pin looks okay. the rifle as only fired about 1/300 rounds in 12 years. before i take it to the gunsmith is there anyone near to skegness who as the same rifle who could try my bolt thank you terry

Last edited:
Its not a big job but to hard to explain in a email for me, a gunsmith should be able to do it in minutes should not be to expensive mate Shuggie

its very easy job twist and turn job , but as others say find your local smith and get him to do it while you wait save postage and lean a new skill

Simply hook the shroud on the first loop of your boot/shoe lace pull and turn off the bolt shroud assembly holding the main bolt body no tools required plenty posts on YouTube tried and tested way of stripping remmy bolts handy field tip

If you read what the OP says his firing pin appears to be broken, not the simple twist and turn job!
The use of a firing pin spring compressing tool is needed, take it to a reputable smith or buy the tool and replacement pin from Brownells.

Ian.

remington 700 222 bolt. firing pin appears to be broken is it a big job to strip down and fit new pin thank you terry

Following on from MARCBOs usefull links, it could quite possibly be cheaper and quicker to order the tool and pin from Brownells in the USA rether then getting it done here.

Ian.

Following on from MARCBOs usefull links, it could quite possibly be cheaper and quicker to order the tool and pin from Brownells in the USA rether then getting it done here. Ian.

Very likely OK getting the tool....but as a firing pin is a component part of a firearm...likely as not Brownells may be unable to export it directly to an 'end user' Yes/No? ATB

remington 700 222 bolt. firing pin appears to be broken is it a big job to strip down and fit new pin thank you terry

What makes you think that the pin is broken, can you see any physical damage to the tip of the pin, have you disassembled the bolt?
Replacing a pin isn't a major job for a gunsmith and shouldn't be too costly but doing it yourself without the correct tools can be a bit tricky.

I have ordered triggers from the states and had them sent to GB but problem was getting Post Office to deliver firearms parts. There is a problem here with PO as they seem to collect all small mail from Customs.
I'm not sure how to get round this except to get seller to send by an international courier service.

update first i would like to thank the members that replied. i stripped the bolt down. the firing pin looks okay. the rifle as only fired about 1/300 rounds in 12 years so before i take it to the gunsmith is there anyone near to skegness who as the same rifle who could try my bolt thank you terry

Back