Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bradley Smoker - anyone used one??

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Bradley Smoker - anyone used one??

Wasn't sure where to place this post - could have gone in Venison Recipes or Classifieds I suppose - but has anyone on the site had any experience of using the Bradley Smoker?

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/

I've looked at them before and thought about getting one for cold smoking salmon, trout, venison, etc. but would feel happier hearing about other's experiences first.

willie_gunn

Have had one for the past 5 years. Did use an old gun safe, the problem was getting good quality saw dust. You had to find saw dust from a saw that uses a blade that is not lubricated, if not you are burning saw dust and oil. Another problem was keeping the saw dust burning.
    The Bradley solves all those problems and although it is expensive to buy and I think the wooden biscuits are over priced all you need to do is set it up and let it get on with the job. I also link mine up to a cheap time clock so it turns its self off when it has run for the allotted time.
    Paul GAP180

Paul

Many thanks for the rapid reply - much appreciated!

willie_gunn

Willie_gunn,

I've got one bought it as a christmas present to myself. So far I've smoked venison, Pork, lamb and cheese and it works well. More you use it the better it is.

Although if your going to do some cold smoking I'de recomend that you get a box and tuble dryer airing pipe and connect up the smoke genrator to the smoking box as the smoke generator heats up the box just enought to begin cooking/ melting food and cheese.

Excelent piece of kit.

Jase
    Ps don't bother cleaning the inside of the smoker it adds to the flavour.

Make a cold smoker out of a soldering iron and a bean can! Yes it works

What about a diagram then?

Barrel + pipe and you can use any wood you like

Looks like something you'd give a wide berth out in the sand .

dom

i went on the river cottage meat smoking and curing course and the butcher (ray smith) used an oak barrel conected to a pot belly stove via a tumble dryer duct. they hot smoked with an old enamel bread bin over a couple of burners with saw dust in the bottom.
    They kept stressing that the results are more about the cure process that you use rather than the smoke although obviously the wood has to be free from contaminents like oil from a chain saw.
    I have all the course notes in a folder feel free to borrow them.

pete

Pete

Cheers for that! I'd certainly be interested to have a gander at the notes. I've seen that course advertised before - did you enjoy it?

I've got one of the ABU smokers that I use for small loch trout as well as a stainless steel Israeli stove-top smoker ( ) that I bought on eBay, though both of these are hot smoke only. Fine for trout, nuts, garlic, etc.

At the moment my salmon go to a mate who cold smokes them. I saw the Bradley and thought that it might be easier, although my mate doesn't charge me so I'm not going to save much money

Dom