Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midgie nets

Midgie nets

Can anybody recommend a tried and tested midgie head net ? I was out this morning and got soaked. Then eaten alive dispite using skin so soft. I've now got a head like a golfball

Lifeventure do good ones, one with a built in "pop up" hat and one without that fits over a normal hat.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_stalker View Post
    Can anybody recommend a tried and tested midgie head net ? I was out this morning and got soaked. Then eaten alive dispite using skin so soft. I've now got a head like a golfball
    The main thing that lets midgie nets down is visibility when using one. If you can find one that allows full unhindered view through binos once on then you're onto a winner. Once you find it, let me know !

I use one of these - Beaton's Midge Jackets - about our jackets

Its a full jacket, and the hood zips down the side, but the black face panel can cut your stalk short before dark if midges are seriously bad and you cannot take the hood down

I also use - Midge Head Net for head protection from midge, mosquito, fly, etc.

A simple hood net with elastic neck band, which is supposed to give you better visibility as its a clear type mesh, but to be honest I seem to get a bit of reflection off it in bright light and don't think it lets light through as well as it is supposed to.

Best to use one of these -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flame-thrower3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	43124

Last edited by Timney; 08-06-2014 at 15:06.

I bought a cheap one - about a fiver - in Drumnadrochit one time and I does fine, but is especially good when you bring your binoculars up to your eyes. Clear as a bell. It's not even got a name on it, so cheap, but not nasty. I purchased, although its not here yet, a Thermo, or maybe Therma cell unit from Amazon last week. Our chief reckons they are the bees knees and give you a midge free zone round about you. I'm hoping that's true for me, but also hopefully will help the poor hound, who sometimes is obviously bloody uncomfortable.
    As a by the way, I use "AUTAN" stick which I buy abroad. It's obviously much more lethal than the stuff you can get here and it does absolutely work. I slapped Smidge on the other night and it seemed ok but there was a very slight wind blowing which helped a bit.

funny this ive just read the thread and decided to look in my spare gear come shooting come gun box room ive found a midge coat with face veil and a midge hood by ron thompson i didnt know i had,i never give it a second thought when setting up for stalking that, hopefully one day i might need these up north somewhere,so thanks scots stalker,atb doug,
    DONT START

The thermacell is the dogs doodahs. Highly recommend this piece of kit.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I like the sound of the thermacell

Just use "Smidge" and you won't need a hood.

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    II use "AUTAN" stick which I buy abroad. It's obviously much more lethal than the stuff you can get here and it does absolutely work. I slapped Smidge on the other night and it seemed ok but there was a very slight wind blowing which helped a bit.
    Autan uses the same repellent as Smidge, it is just that Autan call it Icaridin whereas Smidge use the trade name Saltidin. I believe that Smidge claim that their "unique selling point" is that Smidge is waterproof whereas the other Saltidin formulations aren't.

I've been using Smidge for a few years now in Ireland and the Hebrides for both stalking and fishing and have been very impressed with its performance and since starting to use it I haven't had my midge net on much, if at all. In the past if you'd asked I would have said that the midge net was the only way to keep the midges off and on a really bad day it does still have advantages, like they don't get into your mouth and sucked up your nose, but the Smidge really does stop them biting me.

One thing about Smidge is that it doesn't stop the midges landing on you, so when they are bad you still get quite a few that will land and walk about before flying away again. I've observed that many people, especially those with limited experience of really bad midges, are as annoyed by having the midges land on them as they are by the bites. In this situation then Smidge isn't an ideal solution.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I stalk in prime midge habitat and have tried all the usual potions and repellents.
    Avon skin so soft wasn't worth a damn, utterly useless against a determined starving swarm of lowland midges.

The best to date by far is Boots own make repentant with 50% deet. . . When they are at their worst even it's not infallible, but damn close.. . Good stuff at a reasonable price.