Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 hornet mag length

.22 hornet mag length

hi i have a weihrauch hw 60j and want to start homeloading. i have got hornday 35 gn v max ready made and they fit fine. i have bought the 35 grain v max to load and am wondering about the 40 gn v max and the 40 gn sierra soft points.

muir has kindly measured the max length of a 40gn v max and it wont fit in my magazine.

can anyone tell me the oal of the hornady 40 gn vax heads and the oal of the sierra 40 gn soft point heads please.

maximum oal to fit in the mag will be 1.8 inch.

thanks regards pete
    Last edited by pj1; 08-06-2014 at 19:38.

If you are talking about the 40 grain soft points, stock number 1200, they will most certainly fit as they are made specifically for the Hornet. The only other 40 grain Sierras I have are the HP and I know that they are not a magazine feed item. Remember that they standard length for the Hornet (SAAMI spec) is around 1.730 inches so once a bullet design is freed from that constraint -meaning not made specifically for the Hornet- it usually becomes much longer to give a more marketable BC and performance. There are few bullets made for, say, the .223 and .223 that will still stay inside the Hornet's length parameters. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    hi i have a weihrauch hw 60j and want to start homeloading. i have got hornday 35 gn v max ready made and they fit fine. i have bought the 35 grain v max to load and am wondering about the 40 gn v max and the 40 gn sierra soft points.

muir has kindly measured the max length of a 40gn v max and it wont fit in my magazine.

can anyone tell me the oal of the hornady 40 gn vax heads and the oal of the sierra 40 gn soft point heads please.

maximum oal to fit in the mag will be 1.8 inch.

thanks regards pete
    You don't need to worry about the 40gr Sierra .223" (#1100) as it's an SMP - designed for the .22 Hornet. With a 1-calibre seating depth the OAL is 42.6mm which will fit easily inside your 45.7mm magazine length.

I've no idea of the length of the (.224") 40gn V-Max but with a boat-tail & long pointed nose it's maybe not the best candidate for the Hornet.

You could also get away with the Sierra .224 40gr HP (#1385) which is only 2mm longer @ 14.2mm.

I use the 63gr Sierra .224" (#1370) in .22-250 which again has the SMP profile. It's stubby at only 19mm long so fits the restricted Sako/Tikka magazine length perfectly. It also shoots fine in the bog-standard 1/14" twist.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

thanks for the replies. i was thinking of the #1200 sierras .224. just would like to try some through the rifle and see what it likes the most but dont want to buy a box and find they dont fit

regards pete

I use Sierra 40 grain HP .224 (#1385) in my BSA .22 Hornet over 13 grains of H Li'll Gun and they fit in the magazine fine. They give 2,900 fps in my rifle.

Nosler have a new 35grain varmageddon bullet which looks like it will be hornet compatible but god knows if it will ever be available over here.

Hi I use 40gr vmax and blitz kings in my hornet and as a rule you wont get more than 1 round in the mag and one up the spout as they're too long. I can live with that as I like the bullets properties and I get pretty good groups with both. Also if I manage to get two rounds off on a night after Charles im doing well. ....!!
    Cheers
    Ben

I'm sure George aka Pesca would be happy to help... he's just got his up and running......

www.nightvisionforumuk.com Login

He's a member on here too.

Cheers

Fizz
    Last edited by fizzbangwhallop; 10-06-2014 at 18:12.

thank guys. i hope to go out tomorrow evening and have a proper shoot with it. i will let you know how i get on. i have a feeling that i will get through my box of 25 pretty quick but never mind my press and cases arrived from henry krank today so i will be pestering muir for some of his hornet expertise come the weekend.

who out of you guys load your own for the hornet. and what do you find best

regards pete

I have just got all the bits together I need for reloading and plan on having a go in the next few days, brass is cleaned ready to go, tub of lil'gun, and a selection of heads to try. I too have a weirhauch so be interested to know what load/bullet you find shoots best in your rifle
    Will