Thread: Lightweight rear support - a cheap idea!

Lightbulb Lightweight rear support - a cheap idea!

Firstly, not sure if this is in the right section as I cant seem to find the useful tip section, and secondly not sure if this has already been tried or not!

I was trying to think of a simple way of supporting the rear of the stock without using or carrying a cumbersome rear bag whilst stalking. I came up with an idea tonight of cutting a 7" (18cm) section of silver pipe lagging and wrapping it over the last section of the sling just in front of the sling swivel. It seems to work a treat giving quite a good grip for your non-trigger hand and a large amount of support which can be raised or lowered as necessary without any loss of strength. Also does not interfere with carrying the rifle. Mine was wrapped in webtex tape for a little camouflage! I'll test it out and let you know how it performs in due course.

Hope you find it useful.

Great idea, will give it a go, thanks for sharing. Chris.

I have been using one for 4 years now and I always tell people that I wish I was clever enough to come up with that idea!

I saw one in an article in sporting rifle - I think it was on Tim Pilbeams RPA from memory.

Anyway a brilliant idea and great for the hill.

nice and simple, i like it.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
    I have been using one for 4 years now and I always tell people that I wish I was clever enough to come up with that idea!

I saw one in an article in sporting rifle - I think it was on Tim Pilbeams RPA from memory.

Anyway a brilliant idea and great for the hill.
    Aah, so someone beat me to it! I still like to think it was my idea, which I suppose it was as I hadn't seen it or heard of it anywhere else! Do you know if he has a patent on it, lol Maybe if I'm quick...........

Dunno if anyone has got that boxed off but like all great inventions - its the simple ones that work.

Saves carry a rear bag about!