Thread: Sausages - Chorizo

Sausages - Chorizo

Spent a good part of Saturday making sausages. Ended up with 17 kg of Lincolnshire pork sausage, 5 kg of cooking venison and pork chorizo sausages and 4 kg of venison and pork chorizo that will be dry cured over the next couple of months. Happy to post the chorizo recipes if anyone wants them..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by Win Mod 70; 08-06-2014 at 22:51.

Agreed and chorizo is also expensive to buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Win Mod 70 View Post
    Spent a good part of Saturday making sausages. Ended up with 17 kg of Lincolnshire pork sausage, 5 kg of cooking venison and pork chorizo sausages and 4 kg of venison and pork chorizo that will be dry cured over the next couple of months. Happy to post the chorizo recipes if anyone wants them..
    However much I try I cannot make sausages like that. They look really good.

That is a lovely old filler you have there ! Very jealous.

Been looking for a large upright for ages, given up and ordered a smaller horizontal now.

Sausages look good aswell. Be interested to see your chorizo mix.

All recipes please, they look great.

Win Mod 70...That all looks great! I have been working on meat myself this after noon... Making a 25pound batch of Krakowska....from my grandfathers recipe...but using wild hog, elk and whitetail instead of beef and pork like he did... The meat is all diced up and mixed with the cure...it will cure for several day in the fridge and early next week I will smoke it...when it is done it will look like this...

I don't know about you, but I get a lot of self satisfaction our of making up my own sausage and lunchmeat....

Yours sure looks good!

cheers,
    Z

Sorry to all those that have been waiting for me to post the recipes. I put them somewhere safe (found them in the recycling, not sure how they got there).

For ease I've worked them out in a per Kg of meat as this appears to be the most accurate way of ensure the correct seasoning and salt percentage which is important if you are drying / curing. To those over the pond you will either need to work in metric or convert weights to lb's and ounces...

Drying Chorizo
    1 kg of minced lean meat (for a venison version I used 2/3rds venison to 1/3rd pork shoulder)
    200 g of pork back fat (chat up a local butcher I go in on a Monday and they will usually make sure I have it for Friday)
    25 g of fine salt (or the % as per the instructions if using an all in curing salt)
    20 g of smoked paprika (I used half and half sweet and hot)
    3 cloves of garlic crushed
    1 1/2 tbsp. of crushed black peppercorns
    1 1/2 tbsp. of fennel seeds
    50 ml of red (or white which is a little more understated in the mix)

- when mincing the back fat get it as cold as possible (but not quite frozen) this will ensure that it stays as small individual bits which is what you want. Keep the fat refrigerated until your ready to mix your ingredients.
    - mix all ingredients until well combined and if possible cover and refrigerate overnight. You want the mix cold when filling the natural sausage skins... If not the fat will start to melt and block the pores of the skins impeding the drying / curing process.
    - when filling the skins ensure that there are no air pockets and that the skins are well filled.
    - twist and tie off at 12" lengths. (I did 2 kg of venison, 1 kg of pork shoulder and 600 g of back fat which gave me 10 chorizos)
    - hang in a cool dry place for at least one month, preferably three. (if like me you make them when the flies are about then protect with netting. I used the stuff you can get from the garden centre to keep white fly off your veg..)

Cooking / Fresh Chorizo (this will need eating or freezing within a few days)

1 kg of lean meat (again I used a 2 to 1 ratio of venison to pork)
    200 g of back fat
    200 ml of white wine
    25 g of salt (as these aren't being left to cure I think you could cut this down depending on your taste. remember you can add but you can't take it away. Although you can add more meat.. try taking a bit out of the mixture and fry it off and taste it if your not sure)
    20 g or paprika
    6 cloves of garlic crushed
    10 g of crushed cumin seeds
    5 g dried crushed oregano

- as above keep cold when mincing and mixing and refrigerate before filling the skins.
    - hang the stuffed and linked skins in the fridge / cold store overnight or for a couple of days if possible before freezing what you will not be eating straight away.
    - this is quite a wet mix which will stiffen up when left in the fridge overnight before filling the skins and the sausages will loose moisture once made and hanging in the fridge.

Any questions please post so that everyone can get the benefit from the answer...

For those that asked the stuffing machine was my grandfather's. He was a well regarded butcher in the Holbeach area of Lincolnshire. I wouldn't like to guess at how many sausages it has made but I remember visiting him in the late 70's (when I was 11 or 12) and it was in use then......

Win Mod 70
    Last edited by Win Mod 70; 15-06-2014 at 10:47.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeriverrat1 View Post
    Win Mod 70...That all looks great! I have been working on meat myself this after noon... Making a 25pound batch of Krakowska....from my grandfathers recipe...but using wild hog, elk and whitetail instead of beef and pork like he did... The meat is all diced up and mixed with the cure...it will cure for several day in the fridge and early next week I will smoke it...when it is done it will look like this...

I don't know about you, but I get a lot of self satisfaction our of making up my own sausage and lunchmeat....

Yours sure looks good!

cheers,
    Z
    Z
    not tried smoking yet but is deffinetly something I want to try. I love making sausages and end up giving loads away. My grandfather was a butcher and maybe its in my blood. Out of interest after smoking do the keep? or would you still need to allow them to continue to dry / cure?

Win Mod 70

cheers for that have our second batch of weaner pigs growing now for autumn and love making sausages and want to do salamis and chorizo this year .
    plus chuuck in any game i can get

ATB

Duncan