Thread: 60gr 22lr

60gr 22lr

Aguila do a 60gr subsonic load. Seems to be available in the US but not here which is a pity. Provided you have a fast twist seems just the medicine for close range foxes. Very mixed reports - twist rate of the barrel seems vital to grouping. Anybody seen it here?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Aguil...Per/705930.uts

got some , doesn't shoot great because of the weight and twist rate , I always fancied making an adapter for my 1-8 223 and using them in that but like many of my projects it hasn't happened yet!

I will say that I think at rimfire ranges your as well using a well placed regular (40g) subsonic and there would be no real advantage with the aguila stuff?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Heym,

For close range foxes I'd strongly recommend CCI's Segmented Hollow Points (subsonic or standard velocity).

I've killed foxes consistently with both head and boiler-room shots using these -the former will drop them on the spot and the latter will produce a head-down run of 5-10 yards before collapse. Wound channels are wicked, as the bullet segments come apart and spin through like little razor blades with a ~30-degree spread.

You don't need to reduce the range for the CCI's to work either. Range-wise, as in other respects, they're at least as effective as standard 40-grainers, and probably more so.

On most of my ground the foxes get a proper wallop with a centrefire, but there are two spots where it's only practical to use a .22LR, and there a load that is quiet, hard-hitting and much less likely to ricochet is in its element.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

one in the melon
    doesn't matter what they weigh so long as they are close enough

even chest shot at a suitable range a 40gr will do the trick

I found CCI segs very hard to chamber in the Sako and accuracy was average compared to WinSubs

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    one in the melon
    doesn't matter what they weigh so long as they are close enough

even chest shot at a suitable range a 40gr will do the trick

I found CCI segs very hard to chamber in the Sako and accuracy was average compared to WinSubs
    Yes. You don't need segmented bullets to do the job; I just think they do it better.

Accuracy out of my Anschutz and V22 was only slightly below that of the Winchester subsonics (1" vs. 3/4" at 50 yards). Chambering was no different.
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.

I have shot thousands of rounds of the Sub Sonic Sniper. The designer is a personal friend of mine, as a matter of fact. It was specifically designed for use in a Ruger-based "Poseidon" rifle with a 1-9" twist barrel for law enforcement work but I have found that most of my CZ's shot it well to 60 -70 yards even with the 1-16" twist. Some 1-16" rifles -notably the Marlin microgroove- won't shoot it at all. It is basically a 22 Short case with a 60 grain slug hanging out the end wit a MV of 950 fps. Around here guys use it on raccoons and it kills them stone dead.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    1" vs. 3/4" at 50 yards
    to be honest I would be looking to test other ammo if 3/4-1" is the norm for groups at 50 yds
    is it a semi auto?

I have only shot one Anshutz and it was years ago but it was putting a 8 or 10 round clip well inside that just messing around

mines a annie and i tried the cci segmented they were really good accurate on fox and deadly good on bunnies ,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    to be honest I would be looking to test other ammo if 3/4-1" is the norm for groups at 50 yds
    is it a semi auto?

I have only shot one Anshutz and it was years ago but it was putting a 8 or 10 round clip well inside that just messing around
    Feel free to mess around.

The V22 is a semi, the Anschutz is a bolt-action. The scopes were 3X NV units. The groups were well up to the job.

The point is that CCI segmented group well enough for accuracy not to be a factor in their selection for fox in those rare circumstances when a .2LR is the best choice.