Old railway line Buck

View attachment 43158Well after my success the other night I thought I'd better have another look this morning. Up at 03:15 and out the door by 03:30. I managed to spook the big lad that seems to keep evading me in the wood, he took off barking like a mad dog. Thought that was me done for with the racket he made, so took a change of tack and decided on a wander down the old railway line. The wind was all wrong as it was on my back but I wanted to check out the fields either side of the line to see if anything was doing. Low and behold I walked around the bend and saw a nice buck walking away from me in the crop. Sure enough he winded me and took off round the bend and I thought I'd lost him, only to see him cut across the field of barley jump the fence & into the rough ground. I was very surprised to see that he hung about the other side of the fence and started feeding always having a look over my way. I managed to stalk down the edge of the fields and got as far as I was going to get without him winding me again or going into the high crop. I waited and watched a good while for him to present himself broadside and then shot him off the sticks. Once again the 6.5 anchored him to the spot. I'm really starting to like this rifle!!!

Last edited:
Back