Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: larsen trap drinker

larsen trap drinker

I'm suffering from a senior moment and cant remember how to make a self filling drinker for the larsen trap. Can anybody remind how or point me to a website. Thanks . Ion

Not self filling but I use plastic 2/4 pint milk carton cut half way up hole for bird to drink from leave on lid and put small hole on back for filling cable tie handle to side of inside of trap
    easy
    norma

Between magpie crap and food I'm emptying and cleaning the drinker daily. I was wondering if a self filler would be easier. It involves upending a mineral bottle in a container but I'm having a mental blank. The old pheasant pen equivalent involved upending a round 5 gallon drum in a rectangular 5 gallon drum split vertically. A milk container would however be an improvement .

Thanks

Ion

You can get ones on ebay for a few quid which screw onto plastic drinks bottles. Not sure if they're any good though, I'd imagine you'd need to use a relatively stiff sided bottle or the sides would suck in and the water would dump out!

drinker pop bottle | eBay

Just as a side can you point me at the laws on trapping just waiting on a 1/2 Larson trap i.e. just the trap bit no cage for decoy

as i have a problem stealing duck eggs rounf my pond pretty much every egg gets done every morning so was planning on a couple eggs in the trap and will check it when i go to do the animals in the morning

ATb

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Not self filling but I use plastic 2/4 pint milk carton cut half way up hole for bird to drink from leave on lid and put small hole on back for filling cable tie handle to side of inside of trap
    easy
    norma
    Fill once a week hardly ever need to clean them birds cant crap in them easy to fill from outside .

We just pour water in from the outside of the cage. Clean it out every now and then if it gets too green. You have to check them every day anyway so may as well not have anything complicated on it. Especially if the trap ever gets vandalised (antis damaged ours once and released the call bird!), dont want to lose or break something you've specifically bought for it.

We've had, year on year, a decline in the birds caught in our area, and it certainly isn't because there are no magpies there. We use a call bird from a complete different area and still have struggled this year. 1st year we caught close to 30, second spring 15 or so, this year only 6 so far. Seems they've wisened up to the whole thing, any body had the same problem?

I packed up for a few weeks mine will go out again this week end as I've seen young maggies back on the shoot

8 magpies in a fortnight. Set up at moment requires opening cage daily to clean water. With my luck call bird will scarper at some stage.

Like this:

Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks