Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The value of the DSC2 qualifications

The value of the DSC2 qualifications

While the debates about qualifications continue, evidence by the many passionate posts 'for' or 'against' on this forum, I just wanted to give an example of how the DSC2 can benefit stalkers.
    Our Deer Management Group in the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, has just reached an agreement with a large conservation-minded landowner to take on the deer-management on two of their estates (In both cases the Estates have not been stalked for decades). We do this on a voluntary basis, no money changes hands, and we can share any venison with the landowners and the estate staff. The Estate does have a policy to only allow stalking by DSC2 holders. This takes a significant amount of our Members - in many cases highly experienced, extremely knowledgeable stalkers- off the Radar.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

So .... what are you saying?

That DSC2 opens up opportunities for the qualified by creating a closed shop for a privileged few? Are you in fact bemoaning the exclusion of competent stalkers who don't have (or possibly don't believe in) the vital piece of paper? How does this 'benefit stalkers' generally?

I'm not being difficult. Just trying to work out the sentiment behind your thread.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Don't look beyond what he has written for a message.
    It clearly benefits the Stalkers of his DMG who hold level 2.

Just wonder if this estate has not been managed for some time and given the conservation bias how or who sold them on the DSC2 only criteria? Don't think we have (or This estate) all the facts.

sinistral Thers no threat there, its black and white if you want to shoot that esate then level 2 is required,plain and simple , there not the only ones i was speaking to a farmer who told me that he wont let anyone shoot his land unless they have a dsc 2 and has professional insurerance ,makes me laugh as the guy who was shooting only had just past level oneha ha gusse what looks like i have just picked up 500 acres more once the word spreads thought out land owners and it dose quickly ,they dont want to feel that they have a lesser stalker than there neighbour ,and thats how it gose ,i did make a good case for myself aswell and he seemed quite happy .he was told by someone who was doing a risk assessment on the farm and who was using the land and who was at risk

Cant help but feel when we all have dsc 1&2. Then Dsc3 will appear

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_stalker View Post
    Cant help but feel when we all have dsc 1&2. Then Dsc3 will appear
    probably will but just do that as well

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    So .... what are you saying?

That DSC2 opens up opportunities for the qualified by creating a closed shop for a privileged few? Are you in fact bemoaning the exclusion of competent stalkers who don't have (or possibly don't believe in) the vital piece of paper? How does this 'benefit stalkers' generally?

I'm not being difficult. Just trying to work out the sentiment behind your thread.
    Sinistral, you are being difficult, and I do not see the purpose of your negativity. I was simply contributing to the ongoing debate and stating a fact. In our DMG we are encouraging Members to go for the DSC2. The cynics in our Group who felt there was no value in that piece of paper are now being sidelined. Not by the DMG, not be me, but by the landowners. The message is to be pragmatic, even if you have amazing knowledge and experience and feel you will not learn anything from the witnessed stalks.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

people bang on about being the unqualified competent but here's the truth:

--- the modern world on cares about what you say you can do, only what you have prooved you can do with a bit of paper that backs it up ---

sure, some people are lucky to get and keep private permissions without qualifications but you for most, you won't get far without them.