Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFU vs BASC/petplan

NFU vs BASC/petplan

Hi all,
    I'm about to embark on the dog insurance minefield, can anyone offer any experience of either NFU or BASC/PetPlan?
    My father said that he was happy with petplan until the dog (now long gone) started getting older and the premium flew up beyond the realms of reasonable. I can, to an extent, see why this is (the older the dog, the more prone it will potentially be to illness, injury, etc) but it seems a bit harsh that you could go 9 years without a claim and then be hit with double the premium because your dog got old. Is this the case with all insurers?
    I have heard good things about NFU on here and elsewhere, are they good to deal with for claims, is the premium reasonable, etc?
    I'm not simply looking for the cheapest cover going, but I don't have the money to be getting ripped off of it comes to a claim or finding out in a few years time that the only way to keep my dog insured is to start paying out more than it costs to insure my motorcycle.
    Thanks all in advance for your insight
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Hi SS.

My wife and I have four dogs ( 3 x Labs & 1 x GWP ) insured with NFU. Only the GWP is insured as a working dog, as he is / will be on deer full time. However, the 3 labs are `pets` as they do not work all year, and then only once / twice a week in the season.

I have had to claim twice so far... £ 750 for my lab who cut a rear leg tendon on Beaters Day, and then £ 1200 for my GWP who ran in to a tree and damaged a rear leg on the stifle joint. Both times NFU paid up without question, and were actually very helpful in the process in making sure that I had completed treatment for the dogs before they concluded the payment.

However, I think they will only do Pet Insurance for you if you have another policy with them, House / Car etc... but we also insure vehicles so I do not know for sure...

Based on their cover / premiums and their reputation we have been with them for over 10 years now, and they have never let us down.

BTW - one of our labs is 10 years old, and they have not raised the issue of age, or premium on that dog.

All the best.

Neil.

Thanks Neil, very helpful input. You say they're insured as pets, do NFU allow them to be worked "non-professionally" under the policy or are you just not letting on?
    By happy coincidence, I need new contents insurance, so I'll enquire about both.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Look at the cover limits on the policy and whether that money is per condition or per year. You NEED a policy that continues paying for life. Any pre-existing conditions will be excluded.

Cheap insurance is only ever cheap for a reason. I'd have no problem with either of the above companies, but there are some out there who seem to not pay more often than they do pay!

Read the small print. I know it's long and boring, but you need to know what is and what is not covered. People moan when a claim is rejected and without fail they are trying to claim something that they are not insured for, but they did not read the small print. Some play sneaky ticks and won't pay out if the dogs boosters are not up to date etc.

I know quite a lot of vets who use PetPlan for their own pets. They are filling in claims for all the insurance companies so it's funny why they gravitate there.

We have practically everything insured with the NFU and they seem great. Never done a pet insurance claim with them, but farm claims sail through. Not sure anyone else is paying out for stolen Landrovers with the key left in......

Whatever you do don't plug the details into a comparison website and pick the cheapest. Please don't

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Whatever you do don't plug the details into a comparison website and pick the cheapest. Please don't
    No worries there, I've never understood how people don't see how cheapest doesn't ever equate to best.
    Blog

My dog Katie is insured with Esure, claim came to over six thousand. Cannot fault the company. Best £25 per month I have ever spent. Other dogs are with direct line. Again no hassle but purely for pets. jim

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Look at the cover limits on the policy and whether that money is per condition or per year. You NEED a policy that continues paying for life. Any pre-existing conditions will be excluded.

Cheap insurance is only ever cheap for a reason. I'd have no problem with either of the above companies, but there are some out there who seem to not pay more often than they do pay!

Read the small print. I know it's long and boring, but you need to know what is and what is not covered. People moan when a claim is rejected and without fail they are trying to claim something that they are not insured for, but they did not read the small print. Some play sneaky ticks and won't pay out if the dogs boosters are not up to date etc.

I know quite a lot of vets who use PetPlan for their own pets. They are filling in claims for all the insurance companies so it's funny why they gravitate there.

We have practically everything insured with the NFU and they seem great. Never done a pet insurance claim with them, but farm claims sail through. Not sure anyone else is paying out for stolen Landrovers with the key left in......

I went with John Lewis for the new Lab. I rang around all the usual suspects and JLP insure differently to most others, as they pay for a condition for life, not until the pot runs out leaving you with thumping great bills for the rest of pup's natural.

He is covered for shooting as long as he's only with me, and I'm not being paid for his work.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I would happily recommend MoreThan. We insured the pup with their premium cover for less than 12 quid a month (it was through a 'crowd discount' promotion offered for labradoodle owners! ). There is lifetime cover with 12 grand annual limit. No exclusions for repeat conditions and the excess was low and only payable once per year even if you claim multiple times. As he got a fracture at 4 months we've gone through the claim process already and all good - £3 grand claim from multiple vets and over a period of time. It's all gone through without a hitch and they have been excellent to deal with on the phone throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Thanks Neil, very helpful input. You say they're insured as pets, do NFU allow them to be worked "non-professionally" under the policy or are you just not letting on?
    By happy coincidence, I need new contents insurance, so I'll enquire about both.
    Hi SS.

We insured with NFU after discussion with our local office, NFU Marlow. The discussion was along the lines of 3 Labs `working` one maybe two days out of seven, from 20th Oct to 01st Feb ( so 30 days max out of 3.5 months approx ) with then 8.5 months ( approx 290 days ) of the year not even setting paw on the shoot....

NFU were really amenable to the logic, and as long as we increased our excess to £100 ( not standard £50 ) for any claim, then they would not class the dogs as `working`....

Accidents / injuries can happen anywhere - even when out walking your dog in the local wood / park, so while we were being honest with NFU, they were very open in setting the terms of the policy. I rate them very highly.

All the best.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    I went with John Lewis for the new Lab. I rang around all the usual suspects and JLP insure differently to most others, as they pay for a condition for life, not until the pot runs out leaving you with thumping great bills for the rest of pup's natural.

He is covered for shooting as long as he's only with me, and I'm not being paid for his work.
    +1 for John Lewis, not cheap but my 2 Weimaraner's have £12,000 of cover per year on a "life policy". A good job as my 6 year old bitch was diagnose with heart failure in January, she's now claiming about £1,000 per month on the insurance and if (when) she dies before the age of 9 they will pay us her original cost, as they did with my dog who died at 7 1/2 years.
    What Apatchy says about not going cheap is spot on, very wise advice
    Wingy