Do I really need a varmint barrel?

Fursty Ferret

What are members thoughts on the benefit of a varmint barrel?
My scenario.....
Looking to buy a .223....
I know I want stainless
What I cant decide is if a varmint barrel is worth the extra dollar
Rifle to be used as an out an out pest control tool......mostly at night with nv, so sensible ranges of out to say 200yrds with 55grainers
Will I really get better accuracy from a varmint barrel at these ranges?
The extra weight of the varmint is not an issue as shooting is done from a vehicle or high seat
Fired a tikka super varmint the other day and was impressed with the accuracy but I haven't had the chance to compare it to a tikka with sporter barrel
Cheers
FF

Generally a good varmint rifle will give you tighter groups then a good sporter weight rifle, expect sub 1" five shot groups for a varmint rifle and 1 1/4" three shot groups for a sporter.
The other benefit of a varmint barrel is the weight, adding stability for those precise shots, my 22BR weighs 14lb, and i shoot crows, maggies, fox and rabbits with it from the passenger window of my truck, the extra stability is a goodsend.
My 17 fireball is half the weight and i have a job keeping it steady in the same scenario.

Ian.

FF

I have always marveled at the increased cost for a varmint barrel since most barrels begin as blanks requiring contouring and there is actually less machine time in a varmint barrel vs a sporter. Guess it comes down to what the buyer will tolerate.

SS

You definitely don't need one, but it's a case of what feels right to you as both a sporter or varmint will do the job fine...

I do nearly all my shooting under lamp and do prefer the stability of a varmint barrel, the extra weight never bothers me when walking as we rarely walk further than 2 fields.

I think varmit barrels are great for burning extra calories, don't bother though if you have a sore beack.

What are members thoughts on the benefit of a varmint barrel?
My scenario.....
Looking to buy a .223....
I know I want stainless
Rifle to be used as an out an out pest control tool......mostly at night with nv, so sensible ranges of out to say 200yrds with 55grainers
Will I really get better accuracy from a varmint barrel at these ranges?
The extra weight of the varmint is not an issue as shooting is done from a vehicle or high seat
Fired a tikka super varmint the other day and was impressed with the accuracy but I haven't had the chance to compare it to a tikka with sporter barrel
Cheers
FF

accuracy differences between sporter and varmint doesn't come with the first, second or third shot, but the subsequent ones. If you're only shooting once or twice, maybe even thrice, and then allowin the barrel to cool, there's absolutely no point in a varmint barrel.

Hi Mate if it were me i would always go for the varmint,the more accurate the better half inch groups at a 100yds are better than inch, if shooting at 200yds and move a little the half inch group might be out to 1.5inch your 1inch way same movement , the group now out to over 3inch .The more accurate the rifle the better every time

All of the above. I have both but only use the really heavy .223 barrel and action from the roof of the car when I want to knock a few nails in!!!!! If I am going for a wander I take the standard 22-250. I just need a bigger head on the nail. When I deer stalk I travel as light as possible with a short barrelled light weight sporter as I am getting really old, unfit and tubby around my waist!!!!

All of the above. I have both but only use the really heavy .223 barrel and action from the roof of the car when I want to knock a few nails in!!!!! If I am going for a wander I take the standard 22-250. I just need a bigger head on the nail. When I deer stalk I travel as light as possible with a short barrelled light weight sporter as I am getting really old, unfit and tubby around my waist!!!!

Trouble is...by the time you've got your specs on, whatever you thought you saw has gone anyway :doh: and there's only nails left!

Back