Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walk in cabinet?

Question Walk in cabinet?

How do? I have just bought a new house and I will have to move my guns shortly and the place in the property I am looking to move them to has thick walls with no windows and is attached to the back of the property. The room is approximately 3 meters wide by 4 meters long and I was thinking instead of putting my cabinet in I could put a steel door in and have a walk in gun cabinet. The answers I need to know are what are what are the legal specifications for doing this e.g thickness off steel and do I have to use drop locks? Does anyone else have a setup like this and what have you done? Is there any chance someone could put photos up of there's or someone I know so I could get some ideas?
    Many thanks
    Joe

You need to talk to your local Firearms people. They will advise you on the specs which they require. Different parts of the country probably have different requirements.

if a single story extension, the roof is the weakest part, anyone can be in quicker than opening a door.

A secure gun room is quite acceptable. Have a look at the H.O. guidance on firearms security. https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...y-handbook.pdf
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have done door frames and doors for people on here to turn rooms into gun rooms, quite acceptable. I have some pics of doors and frames somewhere i can post. just think about floor and ceilings if its not a concrete floor you might have to plate depending on where it is in the house. will post pics tonight for you but off memory i used a 60x40 box for the frame and 25x25 box for the door frame the welded a 2mm sheet to it I used a solid bright bar inside the box for a hinge with two 7 lever locks ,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Before my son came along unexpected his room was my safe steel lined door face to look the same as others steel frame shot bolts five lever lock, windows steel frame with bars tinted film glass so no one could see in red line alarm police diel line they were more than happy with it was so nice just to come home and dump all the gear on the floor until the next day.

Spot on thanks! I think I will fit the cabinet first and when the firearms officer comes to check it I will ask him the crack! I was just seeing what other peoples ideas were first!
    Cheers for the reply's!

Quote Originally Posted by Capstankid View Post
    Spot on thanks! I think I will fit the cabinet first and when the firearms officer comes to check it I will ask him the crack! I was just seeing what other peoples ideas were first!
    Cheers for the reply's!
    I would ask firearms licensing before fitting, could save you money and grief.

here's a frame in progress, you could after plating have a nice wood inlayed into the door so it makes the room look smart, I probably went over board but wanted it to be secure, the packers in the door are just to stop warpage when welding

no issues at all doing a room at all

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I have a friend who did this, since he had to remodel his home after a kitchen fire.

He took a small bedroom, cut out the floor, put in a concrete floor and heavy steel walls and ceiling, all welded, with heat and A/C.. Then he mounted a lightweight (relatively ) bank vault door. He put in a sofa, chairs, table, and built in gun racks all around the walls, with drawers for parts, ammunition, and accessories. The room is the vault. No getting out guns anymore. Just invite the friends over and have a drink after the hunt.

The door is from here.
    Vault Doors Safe Room Doors for Sale Made in USA