Shooting at higher altitude

Sika98k

So I hope there is someone here on the site that will have the answer to this one.

Heading off shortly to Namibia, the altitude will be circa 5500 ft. ASL. I fully appreciate that my lungs may be wheezing a bit up there but are there any concerns about bullet drop ?

Using a 308 with 180gr ammo. Your thoughts and any practical experience gratefully received.

I hunted chamois and capercaillie for many years, since i was a teenager, in the mountains, at a average altitude of 6500 ft , and i can tell you,at higher altitudes, the air have a lower density, so there is less drag on the bullet. Therefore, the bullet behaves as if it has a higher ballistic coefficient. The higher the altitude, the less the bullet will drop.
Hope this help!

Wheelie bin & Remington in the same post - What springs to mind?? :stir:

(sorry - just my warped mind wandering again):coat:

Advice to the OP - Walk slower at high altitude. Check zero at high level at the range that you expect to hunt at. Then point & shoot. Don't over think it. (Brain work is more difficult with lower oxygen levels at altitude) --- Anyways you're only going to be at a "Munro & a half" so it shouldn't hardly be noticable.

Enjoy!!

Ian

Thanks for the pertinent advice guys. I am actually surprised that the bullet drops less.in another life windsurfing in hotter climates we piled on a bigger sail owing to the air being thinner/hotter.

and yes,before any Irish smart arse gets in the windsurfing was at sea-level. Now I must go back out and practice at that wheelie bin with my Remington. Really what did I do to deserve this.....and when did I suddenly become old Angus. The anonymity of the internet be damned.

You might find you need to move the sights slightly when you get there, but a few rounds checking zero so that it's 1 and a bit inches high at 100 you will fine for most shots you will take. Your PH will almost you to check zero when you get there.

Well we are out here and it looks like we are going to have a blast ! Warthogs galore and a local farmer gagging to have them cleared off her land .
A man can only oblige:D
Yes,we will check our zeroes in the am. Ranges will be 80-150 yds. It is tight bush.

Brian clear your in box please.

Back