Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forging knife blades

Forging knife blades

Art'noon kids,

Just given a bit of leaf spring a tidy up at work,

Before:

After:

Gonna forge some Sclandi's out of this piece, so thought I'd try and do a bit of a work in progress thread.

It'll be fairly pic heavy at times, I might even try and do a video, but that will depend on whether I have a willing cameraman!

Watch this space for updates, hoping to light the forge this weekend.

Probably enough steel for 4-5 blades? I'll see how they go and if they come out alright I'll send one to site admin, probably Malcolm, to use as a SD charity prize or something.

Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

looking forward to seeing this. I followed your thread on making a knife for your friends 60th. I thought it was excellent and a great idea with the charity prize.

Quote Originally Posted by rem284 View Post
    looking forward to seeing this. I followed your thread on making a knife for your friends 60th. I thought it was excellent and a great idea with the charity prize.
    Glad you liked that thread mate, these won't have anywhere near that amount of detail in them though, positively plain Jayne compared to the 60th knife!

I'll probably file the SD one to make it stand out from the crowd a wee bit, and it'll have SD stamped in on one side as well I expect.

Blade profiles will be of a similar ilk to the Mora Clippers that are popular with many, though mine will be slightly heavier duty blades and will have decent handles of stabilised timber.

That's the plan at This stage anyway!
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

looking forward to seeing it i can't wait for this one to come to life. watching and waiting

Great stuff. I really enjoyed the thread where you made the Loveless style knife.

That's a good competition prize! The birthday present blade was a work of art.

Well it's not much, but I just finished cutting this piece of spring into more workable sized pieces of stock:

When I get the forge lit, first order of business will be to anneal and straighten the steel.

Might get that done one evening this week.

Sikamalc has ok'd the project, we just need to decide what charity the proceeds will go to.

Blades will be of a similar ilk to this:

They can be turned into something like these:

Boy, does this bring back memories! My lust for knife making began, as a boy, when I visited the home of one of my father's boyhood friends, on the farm adjoining ours, about 2 miles by bicycle. He operated heavy earth moving equipment, but was a blacksmith when younger. He had a knife he had made from the spring of blown up Jeep, on Guadacanal. he showed me how to anneal a file, so it could be cut with a hacksaw, then ground and tempered.