soft actioned nymphing rod

Mungo

For all the trout fishermen out there:

I'm looking for a long, medium or soft actioned rod for nymphing and spidering, which has the backbone for larger fish. 10' 5wt about ideal.

I used to have a Grey's Syreamflex in 10' 4wt, and sold it (among my poorer decisions). Something like that would be perfect - are there any contenders to the Streamflex?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Attractive as they are, I think I'll stick with carbon fibre!

I've never really felt the urge to go down the split cane route.

Mungo

I agree with that, I got all nostalgic and bought a vintage split cane. Well! its quite a bit harder isnt it!

I went straight back onto the carbon fibre! It did however give me an appreciation for the skill of guys that do use cane rods!

Mungo

I agree with that, I got all nostalgic and bought a vintage split cane. Well! its quite a bit harder isnt it!

I went straight back onto the carbon fibre! It did however give me an appreciation for the skill of guys that do use cane rods!

The thing to remember with split cane is that you have to slow your casting action right down compared to using carbon. Once that's sorted they can be very pleasant to use. I have three split cane rods but only really use the 6' brook rod with any regularity. Catching a 1.5-2 lb brownie on it is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face. Whilst I enjoy using it, it's a bit like a silk fly line - I wouldn't want to have to use it.

One of our regular Scottish party used his father's cane salmon rod up until about 5 or 6 years ago. They were wonderful and nostalgic but you'd end up with arms like Popeye!

Carbon is a lot more forgiving of poor technique, which is probably not a bad thing.

The thing to remember with split cane is that you have to slow your casting action right down compared to using carbon. Once that's sorted they can be very pleasant to use. I have three split cane rods but only really use the 6' brook rod with any regularity. Catching a 1.5-2 lb brownie on it is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face. Whilst I enjoy using it, it's a bit like a silk fly line - I wouldn't want to have to use it.

One of our regular Scottish party used his father's cane salmon rod up until about 5 or 6 years ago. They were wonderful and nostalgic but you'd end up with arms like Popeye!

Carbon is a lot more forgiving of poor technique, which is probably not a bad thing.

110% on that willie_gunn! I was knackered the first time I tried one! Like I say it ment I have a greater respect for those that use them!

As for poor technique... the best carbon rod in the world could never make me look eligent! But I enjoy myself and offer a good laugh to others who maybe looking on!

Back