Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parker Hale Safari 222 rem

Parker Hale Safari 222 rem

Hi!

I bought an old and possibly quite rare rifle, Paker Hale Safari in caliber 222 rem. I wonder if somebody could tell me something about it. I'm interested in the age and origin of this rifle, how many these have been manufactured and what is the type of its mauser action? And also what might be the twist in the barrel (1:14?)

Some information:
    - Marḱs on top of the barrel: "Parker Hale Ltd, Birmingham, England"
    - Marks on the left side of the action: "Safari 222R" + BNP with a crown (both on barrel and on action).
    - Marks under the barrel (see photo3)
    - Apparenly a mauser type action, designed for larger caliber. The "window" on the right side is 80 mm long.
    - Detachable magazine, 4 cartridges.
    - Barrel lenght 560mm (22")
    - Total lenght 1080mm (42,5")

I'd be very grateful if somebody could tell me something about this rifle. I have only one magazine for it and I would also be very grateful of any information where I could find an other one (photo2)?

Kindly,

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PH222.jpg   magazine.jpg   barrel1.jpg  

very nice.
    Welcome

It looks like a "Superclip" with a 1100 or 1200 stock (interesting addition with the schnabel fore-end)
    not sure exactly what stock it is in though
    The 1100 lightweight and Super Magnums had additonal grip cap materials like Rosewood etc
    The African Magnum had double recoil pins

Something unusual about the proof marks though
    They don't look like the PH/Midland proof marks on mine

can you post a picture of the other marks

Thank you, bewsher500, for your reply. Here are some more photos. I don't have a photo of the BNP mark, but I assume that it's a normal British approval mark. The serial number of the rifle has only three digits: "Z 8xx S". (The white in the marks is chalkboard chalk only to improve readability)

Do you know what does the 1•70' in the barrel (photo3) mean?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails action_left.jpg   barrel3.jpg  
    Last edited by Snufkin; 12-06-2014 at 14:50.

1.70 will be the max case lenth

Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post
    1.70 will be the max case lenth
    Ok, thanks. That's a standard value for .222 rem.

What does the 16 tons stand for? The max pressure of 222 rem should be 430 Mpa (CIP) but by converting 16 tons per square inch is only 220 Mpa.

The proof date is 1967, luckily it seems to be the only year they used "S" as the first letter as I could not make out the second letter, the stock is the same as used in the Safari deluxe. In 1967 I understand that P-H were still using the original German M98 actions they obtained from the Government. The .222R Safari is in Catalogue #67 which ties in nicely with your proof code date. As I am missing cataloges between 62A and 67 I cannot check if it was listed before ...................... sorry. Have been looking out for the missing catalogues but so far have never seen them the numbers 63,64,65 and 66. So have no idea if they exist or not.

As for the proof marks remember that the British proof is in Long Tons and SAMMI have been know to revise pressures so might have done so on the .222 Remington. Earlier British proof markings had bullet weight used and amount of N/C powder used in proof but it seems some thought this was loading data .

Now as for numbers made am sorry to tell you that I was led to believe that Bremner Arms destroyed all the P-H records. According to an ex-employee they piled them in a skip in the yard and torched the lot. Hope that helps a bit.

Thats a lovely rifle

as for for numbers there cant be many

id like that in my collection

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    Thats a lovely rifle

as for for numbers there cant be many

id like that in my collection
    There were a couple for sale on Gun trader the other year one I seem to recall was in Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    The proof date is 1967, luckily it seems to be the only year they used "S" as the first letter as I could not make out the second letter, the stock is the same as used in the Safari deluxe. In 1967 I understand that P-H were still using the original German M98 actions they obtained from the Government. The .222R Safari is in Catalogue #67 which ties in nicely with your proof code date. As I am missing cataloges between 62A and 67 I cannot check if it was listed before ...................... sorry. Have been looking out for the missing catalogues but so far have never seen them the numbers 63,64,65 and 66. So have no idea if they exist or not.

As for the proof marks remember that the British proof is in Long Tons and SAMMI have been know to revise pressures so might have done so on the .222 Remington. Earlier British proof markings had bullet weight used and amount of N/C powder used in proof but it seems some thought this was loading data .

Now as for numbers made am sorry to tell you that I was led to believe that Bremner Arms destroyed all the P-H records. According to an ex-employee they piled them in a skip in the yard and torched the lot. Hope that helps a bit.
    Thank you very much for all this information. It's nice to know something about the history of an old rifle. It seems to be in perfect condition but just in case I need a spare part some day.

For numbers made I think I then have to satisfy to an answer that less than 1000, because of the three digit serial number.

Very nice rifle , a great find I wish this had been around when I was looking for .222
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions