Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun stuff to Do in Ireland?

Regular Poster

Fun stuff to Do in Ireland?

Evening all, as per the title really. I am heading off to Ballina tomorrow for a spot of fly fishing and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for days when the fish or the weather are playing silly buggers. I am heading out with a couple of mates, all of whom are into fishing, shooting drinking etc and have at least SGC if not FAC. Obviously not taking any guns so clay grounds with club guns, good local pubs and restaurants, sea fishing boat hire etc would be great. Thanks for any suggestions!

260 salmon caught on the Moy over the last week. Sea trout fishing well in the estuary. Water levels are good - keep fishing!!

Regular Poster
    Well that's certainly encouraging! The Salmon fishing wasn't great last year, although my friend still managed one of about 6lb, the lucky git. Planning for 2 days on the Moy, so hopefully it will be a nice round 500 by next Friday!

There is a clay shoot in Mount Falcon estate just outside Ballina. Guns can be hired. Loads of good pubs and restaurants in the town. Enjoy your trip!

Regular Poster
    thanks bud, that's where we stayed last year. Didn't know about the clay shoot though, might have to give it a try. Any suggestions for restaurants as we ate at the hotel last time.

Last year was a bad year, low water levels and a hot summer. Water levels are pretty good still, good bit of rain in last few weeks. Salmon fishermen always want a good traditional wet Irish summer! Tight lines

Regular Poster
    Thanks very much. i will let you know how i get on...

The town is packed with pubs doing pub grub with a good few fancier restaurants if they take your fancy.

I've just spoken to Gary at the ridge pool tackle shop.
    I can forward you his mobile number.
    He can arrange going out with Judd to fish the estuary for sea trout and can arrange to fish areas that most can't get access to.
    PM me if you want his details.

If you just fancy a drive out you could take the coast road towards westport and watch the reds in the national park
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    I've just spoken to Gary at the ridge pool tackle shop.
    I can forward you his mobile number.
    He can arrange going out with Judd to fish the estuary for sea trout and can arrange to fish areas that most can't get access to.
    PM me if you want his details.

If you just fancy a drive out you could take the coast road towards westport and watch the reds in the national park
    You need to do this. Sea trout in the Moy estuary is great, weather forecast is for good weather. There was a lot of rain last weekend, but the river must be coming down. You could fish Carrowmore lake if conditions allow.

Otherwise, eat drink and be merry....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......