Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel threading

Barrel threading

The outside diameter of the barrel on my 243 WSSM is 13.77 mm will there be enough shoulder to tighten a mod against if I have it threaded 1/2" unf.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I would not like to rely upon that after all 1/2" is 12.7mm so at most you will have only 0.020" shoulder that's 0.5mm. it would probably work with a spigot for the moderator to align onto but your asking a lot of that twenty thou IMHO.

This is a good case for a close tolerance spigot mod fitment as Brithunter said. - A thin whippy barrel can often encourage the mod to unscrew if there is not enough shoulder face area to lock up on, -- wobbly mod soon knackers the threads making it worse still -- accuracy then suffers & there is a stronger likelyhood of an accident/breakage.
    An option may be there to shorten the barrel to leave more shoulder - or my favourite, don't fit a mod.

Ian

You'll get away with a 21" barrel on this with no discernible loss of velocity or accuracy. I recently reduced the barrel on a 243 wssm and it shoots very well. If you measure the barrel back at 21" you may find you'll gain a slightly better dia for a good shoulder, as said, a spigot would work fine but isn't necessary if your shoulder suitable.
    I would also opt for either a 14x1 or 1/2" unef 28 Tpi.
    Last edited by Jager SA; 13-06-2014 at 08:58.

I'd have it threaded at x28 with a spigot, you could use any moderator that has a removable
    thread unit.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    You'll get away with a 21" barrel on this with no discernible loss of velocity or accuracy. I recently reduced the barrel on a 243 wssm and it shoots very well. If you measure the barrel back at 21" you may find you'll gain a slightly better dia for a good shoulder, as said, a spigot would work fine but isn't necessary if your shoulder suitable.
    I would also opt for either a 14x1 or 1/2" unef 28 Tpi.
    +1 Fully agree with James
    Grampian Guns (RFD)
    Independant Moderator / Supressor Suppliers
    ..........for those who like a quiet life !
    Our mission.......Customer satisfaction......plain and simple.

no, 20thou per side is not enough.
    callum ferguson builds my rifles, because he is the best and i'm worth it....

Shortening the barrel to 21" wont help as the barrel is only 21 1/2" now, so can someone explain about a spigot.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    can someone explain about a spigot.
    Try this first which thread for mod on browning x-bolt 308 win
    Then you will find the thread specs on the Jackson Rifle web page.
    A spigot thread can be done in any size you like, the stumbling block is the moderator.
    Any of the mod's with a removable thread section could be used, either by getting a blank
    thread unit to machine at the same time as the barrel is threaded, or by ordering a special.

Neil.

A good thread cut by some one who knows what they are doing does not need a spigot to align it, it aslo does not need a shoulder for the mod to butt up against, you cant screw a mod on any further then the thread length allows.

Ian.