Thread: New to Foxing : Advise shooting vixens then cubs

New to Foxing : Advise shooting vixens then cubs

Doing plenty of rabbit shooting I have a number of foxes, dens etc on my patches; time I cleared them out !
    Shot them before but want to clear them out properly for local keepers.

I hear shooting the vixen then cubs is the best way forwards; shooting only the cubs the vixen moves the rest on and contact is lost.

Any advise best times to shoot vixens returning to cubs; I can go close to dens (80yrds) spot the cubs but not the vixen at regular times.

TOMSK

Don't get too close is the trick ,she will be feeding them in the evenings just get your wind right and view as many angles as possible no doubt she will come in the angle you can't see !
    Good luck
    norma

Shooting the vixen first is the ideal way, but if the terrain makes this too difficult (as it does around here), just shoot whatever you can whenever you can. It'll take much longer as you'll have to keep up with where the cubs have moved to, and this might take several days or even weeks. I dropped our fox number 97 of the year last night though, so we must be doing something right!

Keep your disdance and try for the adults first, they will come, leave the cubs until you can get at least one of the adults if not they will be gone, and cause problems later, cheers

as already said if you really want to clear them out then take out the adults 1st but only do this if you have the time to spend on the cubs afterwards, if you only get out foxing every now and then leaving dependant cubs alone to either learn to hunt over night or starve just isnt on. my honest advice to you is unless your under serious pressure to take your foxes then just shoot the cubs on sight and if you manage to catch the adults out 1st make sure you spend the time on the cubs as you owe it to them but be warned with crops high at the moment, grass only just being cut it wont be as easy as you think to catch up with an entire litter of cubs

Shoot vixen 1st if possible . If not shoot what you can. It will be one less later on
    Atb steve

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    as already said if you really want to clear them out then take out the adults 1st but only do this if you have the time to spend on the cubs afterwards, if you only get out foxing every now and then leaving dependant cubs alone to either learn to hunt over night or starve just isnt on. my honest advice to you is unless your under serious pressure to take your foxes then just shoot the cubs on sight and if you manage to catch the adults out 1st make sure you spend the time on the cubs as you owe it to them but be warned with crops high at the moment, grass only just being cut it wont be as easy as you think to catch up with an entire litter of cubs
    +1 on that sir lamp a lot

To get the adults first is, on its own tricky to say the least, there could be followers in the same earth to takeover a role if one of the original parents are removed, so no gain made, and leaving dependant cubs on their own isn't really playing cricket, unless you have the time and patience to get the whole lot I would remove the cubs until you can polish off all the adults, as the adults you'll see May not be the ones your after, if they move em they move em, pick up the tag and carry on. Cubs being moved is definitely not the end of the world, they gotta show sometime, somewhere ?
    Thats probably reverse of most peoples thinking and guidelines but if you carry it out correctly I would say it's the best all round solution, quietly quietly catches monkey.importantly No dependant cubs left behind, job done.

phil

Thanks ALL for the advise; Cubs it was; all clean head shots. Vixen / dog now left the immediate area as grass no longer being flattened. I'll be on the look out for them!

TOMSK

Gonna be Devils here dont really like to but as it is an open forum is not a little unwise to offer advice saying shoot the vixen first then the cubs . I would have said if you cant get whats coming out build yourself a kist (trap) insert it into the mouth of the den and wait , the cubs will try leave and get caught live in the kist. then await arrival of vixen and shoot the vixen.

If you do manage to get the vixen first however then you can still use the kist for the cubs

Something else to bear in mind is just how many people can reliably tell a dog from a vixen? And who can tell which is the mother vixen and which is merely a helper vixen? As an example, I shot what looked like a large cub earlier this year. When I flipped it over, it had large milk-filled teats! Other times the females have been the size of a well-built dog. Even though I hunt foxes with the latest high-tech equipment almost every night of the year, I no longer make a call on what sex the animal is until I up-end its carcass.